DWB/DLS

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Maldon John
Steady Drinker

DWB/DLS

Post by Maldon John » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:10 pm

Hi all. I am fairly new to water treatment and have just received my tap water analysis from Murphy & Son. I am advised to mix my recommended amount of DWB in with the mash. When I look at Brupaks DLS Water Treatment info they appear to recommend mixing the appropriate amount of DLS into the mash with the balance added at the commencement of the boil.(based on grams per litre). As I am using DWB should I add the appropriate amount ( based on grams per litre) to my mash and the balance to the boil? (based on grams per litre)even though Murphy's don't appear to say this in their recommendation on my analysis.(I am assuming DWB and DLS are the same mixture of salts.?)

bob3000

Re: DWB/DLS

Post by bob3000 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:17 pm

As I understand it murphys has given you an amount to add to mash. I'd just go ahead and do that.

The only reason you would put some in the boil is if you wanted more minerals but didn't want to drive mash ph too low.

I'f you want to be 100% sure get a ph meter and check your mash ph.

fisherman

Re: DWB/DLS

Post by fisherman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:25 pm

I would e Mail Paul Tayor the lab manager at Murphy's quote your analysis number and ask for the individual mineral additions for your brewing. E.g. Bitter.Mild.and so on. DLS is good but it cannot be right for all water and beer styles.I weigh out separate minerals with the cheap 100grm scales from e bay and add grams per litre to the mash and boil. Happy Brewing