bru n water keeps wanting password

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
paulg

bru n water keeps wanting password

Post by paulg » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:57 pm

I am using bru n water paid for version opened in open office and every few second the program brings up " the document you are about to export has one or more protected items and asks for a password for the individual sheets .I assume this is because the file was microsoft excell and I am running open office.I dont know the password does anyone have the same problem and know how to stop it
thanks Paul
If i hit the cancel button it clears but comes back a few seconds later ,I assume as the computer trys to autosave again

AnthonyUK

Re: bru n water keeps wanting password

Post by AnthonyUK » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:01 pm

It is a protected workbook so you can only enter data into relevant fields and protect the authors work (Martin who is a member here).

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:05 pm

paulg wrote:I am using bru n water paid for version opened in open office and every few second the program brings up " the document you are about to export has one or more protected items and asks for a password for the individual sheets .I assume this is because the file was microsoft excell and I am running open office.I dont know the password does anyone have the same problem and know how to stop it
thanks Paul
If i hit the cancel button it clears but comes back a few seconds later ,I assume as the computer trys to autosave again
Martin will be the best one to answer that. It is a protected document for obvious reasons, but I've not heard of anyone getting PW prompts like that. Are you trying to change protected cells maybe? Try saving it under a different name.
Best wishes

Dave

paulg

Post by paulg » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:26 pm

no I am not even trying to save anything just playing with the program to see the effects of inputting different salts etc.I am sure the problem is with open office I will try bru n water with my other pc which has excell on it.
I have already tried opening the download sent be martin again rather than my save as copies and get the exact same thing.

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:35 pm

paulg wrote:no I am not even trying to save anything just playing with the program to see the effects of inputting different salts etc.I am sure the problem is with open office I will try bru n water with my other pc which has excell on it.
I have already tried opening the download sent be martin again rather than my save as copies and get the exact same thing.
Yes, I've not used it with anything other than Excel and not had any problems, so it's definitely worth trying that. I'm sure Martin will be along soon. He's probably still eating his corn flakes.
Best wishes

Dave

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:28 pm

I think I read some versions of Open Office do not work. You can use Libre Office as an alternative to MS Office.

mabrungard
Piss Artist

Post by mabrungard » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:00 pm

I've used the program under the Open Office version 4.0 and it seems to work well. I've not seen it prompt for a password. I'm not sure why it would be doing that.
Martin B
Indianapolis, Indiana

BJCP National Judge
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at: https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Wat ... =bookmarks

boingy

Post by boingy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:21 pm

Post a few screenshots. It might give Martin a clue or two.

paulg

Post by paulg » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:28 pm

I have downloaded libre office and bru n water appears to perform perfectly ,I played around with it for about 3 hours yesterday and not once did I have a problem.
so I guess open office is either the problem or my copy is corrupted in some way.

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:04 pm

paulg wrote:I have downloaded libre office and bru n water appears to perform perfectly ,I played around with it for about 3 hours yesterday and not once did I have a problem.
so I guess open office is either the problem or my copy is corrupted in some way.
Great stuff, glad it's working
Best wishes

Dave

paulg

Post by paulg » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:31 pm

just had a PM from another member who said he is getting the same problem with open office after about 5 minutes of use.It asked for a password and took 3 pushes of thge cancel button to get rid of it (apparently it ran ok with open office 3 but seems not to with version 4

mabrungard
Piss Artist

Post by mabrungard » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:51 pm

Uh Oh, does this mean I shouldn't be recommending the latest version of Open Office? I had trouble with it several years ago and stopped recommending it and pointing users to the LibreOffice. But then I checked the version of OpenOffice about 4 months ago and it seemed fine. What a pain!
Martin B
Indianapolis, Indiana

BJCP National Judge
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at: https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Wat ... =bookmarks

paulg

Post by paulg » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:23 pm

I dont know martin but all I can say is i posted my findings and queried whether I had a corrupt copy of open office, and later I recieved the PM to say it had happened to another member. After about 5 minutes of opening bru n water the password required dialog appeared and to cancel the password request took 3 pushes of the cancel button.This was exactly the same as I experienced