DWB application

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Sunter0100
Steady Drinker

DWB application

Post by Sunter0100 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:51 pm

I have received a water report from Murphy & Son which states the DWB (26g per 25 litires) should be mixed with the mash. I understand that Brupak's DLS is the same thing, however on their website it states it should be split between the mash and the boil. Which is the best application?

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: DWB application

Post by Eric » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:27 am

A worthy question, Murphy's are inconsistent with a lot of their information.

Below is an extract from their datasheet found at http://www.murphyandson.co.uk/datasheet ... s2/DWB.pdf
Your advised dosage rate is equivalent to 104g/hl, so from this it would appear Murphy's agree with Brupak.
Which is better? I'll pass.

Sulphate and Chloride
These two ions have a huge impact on beer flavour characteristics, sulphate gives beer a drier, more bitter flavour, whilst chloride imparts palate fullness and to an extent sweetness. These desirable ions need to be in the correct ratios for brewing different beer styles (please refer to table 1).
Application
DWB is normally added to the grist prior to mashing but can be split across the mash and sparge liquor. To achieve best results we recommend any salts dosage in excess of 75g/hl be added 2/3 with the grist and 1/3 with the sparge. This will maintain an even distribution of calcium and help maintain pH levels throughout the mash and sparge.
DWB should NOT be added to the hot liquor tank (HLT), as some constituents are insoluble. They will remain in the hot liquor tank as opposed to being released into the grist, thus requiring the HLT to be cleaned on a regular basis.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Sunter0100
Steady Drinker

Post by Sunter0100 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:54 am

Thanks for the reply Eric.

Even with the instructions from that data sheet all of the DWB is being added at different stages of the mash. Whereas Brupaks indicate some should be added to the boil. I thought water treatment was confusing enough without conflicting advise on how to use the products!

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:30 am

Yes, it is confusing, I think it will be that way for as long as we live in a changing world or there is more than one kind of beer.
The influence from mineral content of water is well documented in publications of 250 years since, but we can only guess at what brewers of that time knew and understood.
That datasheet is well worth a read, there is some good information there. Some might not be as important as it suggests. It's up to you what to try first.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.