RO Water - zero alkalinity

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Dave S
Even further under the Table

RO Water - zero alkalinity

Post by Dave S » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:08 pm

I just bought my first batch of RO water from a nearby aquatic centre. £10.98 for a robust container and the first 25l free. and £2.50 per 25l thereafter. Now you cannot say fairer than that.

Anyway I took a sample today to measure the alkalinity and I got zero. This surprised me a little as I was expecting some alkalinity, Martin's default is 13 mg/l. So, I am going to assume that the rest of the mineral content is going to be zero, or as near as damn it also. Thus I will treat it as distilled in my calculations.

Has anyone else got this result from their RO water?
Best wishes

Dave

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: RO Water - zero alkalinity

Post by Aleman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:46 pm

If it was RO water from a good well maintained unit I would expect minimal alkalinity . . . perhaps a maximum of 1% of the original water . . . if it has a deionising resin following the membrane then it should be zero.

Not a bad price considering the unit I am putting together (if I finally click the buy button) is around 700 quid!

Jeltz
Piss Artist

Post by Jeltz » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:47 pm

RO water is typically >95% pure. The membrane that filters the water will only let some of the very smallest particles through so I would have been surprised if it hadn't had 0 Alkalinity.
Rega

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:52 pm

Excellent, thanks chaps. I'll treat as if distilled then.
Best wishes

Dave