Amount of added salts

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
chiller

Amount of added salts

Post by chiller » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:58 am

Water treatment can be a bit tricky but thanks to GW's calculator it is much easier. However the salt additions seem high, I'm certainly not saying they are too high just asking the following question.

Has anyone brewed with these profiles in Graham's spreadsheet and if you are a UK based brewer do you feel they get you close to the flavour profile you expect for a real Bitter, Mild etc? By real I do mean British not an American version. I brewed yesterday and treated my water to match the Mild profile and have to say the wort tastes different to past non treated water. The wort is more complex tasting compared to the usual one dimensional taste of previous wort. More adult I'd say :mrgreen:

Steve

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Amount of added salts

Post by Eric » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:25 pm

chiller wrote: Has anyone brewed with these profiles in Graham's spreadsheet and if you are a UK based brewer do you feel they get you close to the flavour profile you expect for a real Bitter, Mild etc? By real I do mean British not an American version.............
More adult I'd say :mrgreen:
Steve
With my supply being ground water, unless diluting it with RO or distilled water, after acid treatment to reduce alkalinity and adding some salts for a particular profile, it can get near those incorporated by GW. My beers are different to those brewed with fewer salts and probably many brewed in America.

Possibly there was not any period when all British beers were heavy in salts, but perhaps those with better reputations over long periods were. London sits on clay in a basin of chalk, Edinburgh's underlying limestone rocks were mostly formed during the carboniferous period like much of Britain, Dublin is built on clay over limestone with the old Guinness brewery above a former course of the River Liffey, and other brewing centres like Burton and Tadcaster are on limestone meaning their waters .

With over a thousand micro breweries now in the UK, it's likely a significant number brew with lower salt levels, certainly some products taste that way to me. We need to embrace them all, but I can't ever think of improving a beer made from British malts and yeasts in traditional style using fewer salts.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

chiller

Re: Amount of added salts

Post by chiller » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:00 pm

Thanks for the reply Eric. I'm just fermenting a Mild at present with GW's recomendations and it is really different in a very good way. I'm a long way from a British pub so it is all guess work for me but water is a big factor.