bru n water sparge question

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
paulg

bru n water sparge question

Post by paulg » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:44 am

as a former biab brewer I treated all the water as one.
now with my braumeister I will mash in with say 25 litres and the sparge a small amount upto say 8-10 litres for a 23 litre brew length)
my question is
if I set my mash and sparge water amounts in bru n water it gives both acid and salt additions seperately for mash and sparge.
should I only add the acid to the sparge water to get sparge ph and then the salts(gypsum and cal chloride ,maybe table salt)to the boil for flavour,or all in the sparge water.
I realise the mash acids is added all to the cold water before heating and the salts to the grist at mash in.

or should I just add the acid and gypsum for the mash water for ph and all the other salts to the boil for flavour

simmyb
Piss Artist

Re: bru n water sparge question

Post by simmyb » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:22 pm

Personally, I add the mash salts to the grist before doughing in and add the sparge salts to the boiler once I am mid way through the sparge. I treat the mash and sparge water separately with acid before heating as you say...

Cheers, Simon
Primary : AG138 Amarillo Pale Ale
Conditioning : AG137 Mosaic Pale Ale
Drinking: AG131 London Bitter, AG132 Yorkshire Bitter, AG133 Guinnish, AG134 Witbier, AG135 Challenger Pale Ale, AG136 Kveik IPA,
Planning: Perle faux lager

mabrungard
Piss Artist

Post by mabrungard » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:13 am

Adding all the minerals and acids for the mashing water to the water prior to adding the grain is the best way to ensure that all the mineral and acid additions are fully incorporated and distributed in the water and mash. That is most likely to produce an even pH condition through the mash.

I do recommend that the minerals and acids for the sparging water also be added to that water before its use in sparging. The extra mineral content helps reduce the extraction of tannins and silicates from the grist by virtue of the higher osmotic pressure created by the higher mineral content.
Martin B
Indianapolis, Indiana

BJCP National Judge
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at: https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Wat ... =bookmarks

simmyb
Piss Artist

Post by simmyb » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:46 am

Ok, cheers Martin, will do so in the future. :D
Primary : AG138 Amarillo Pale Ale
Conditioning : AG137 Mosaic Pale Ale
Drinking: AG131 London Bitter, AG132 Yorkshire Bitter, AG133 Guinnish, AG134 Witbier, AG135 Challenger Pale Ale, AG136 Kveik IPA,
Planning: Perle faux lager

paulg

Post by paulg » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:28 am

so martin
in that case I can treat all the liquor together in the braumeister and then drain off the amount reserved for sparging cant I rather than treating seperately.
if so can I just set mash water to the total amount and sparge to 0.01 litres in bru n water to get total acid and salts?