Bru N Water - Brewery/Beer profiles

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
SiHoltye

Bru N Water - Brewery/Beer profiles

Post by SiHoltye » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:50 pm

Can we drill down into the mineral profiles that any current breweries use? The water profiles of regions/towns or postcodes are available online but then brewers adjust the salts.
I for one would like some help identifying a profile to create yellow hoppy 4-5% ales. Would the Yellow Bitter Bru N Water profile suit best?

och29
Piss Artist

Re: Bru N Water - Brewery/Beer profiles

Post by och29 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:14 pm

If you want to go for a hop forward water profile I've used this to good effect:
Ca=110, Mg=18, Na=16, Cl=50, SO4=275
Drinking: AG#7 Final Sprint (APA), AG#8 Buckwheat Brett (Saison - Saison/Brett), AG#9 Helles Meister
Conditioning: -
Fermenting: Selection Pinot Grigio
Planning: Orange Blossom Mead, Mexican Honey Mead, Chocolate Stout

SiHoltye

Post by SiHoltye » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:57 pm

Cheers och29. Much appreciated. When you say hop forward are you talking about a generic bitterness of hops or about showcasing what a variety can do re flavour...grapefruit/tropical fruit/piney/woody?

och29
Piss Artist

Post by och29 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:29 pm

I couldnt tell you from experience as I haven't brewed the same recipe with different profiles but I think that it's a case of hop vs malt flavour. It's probably a bit of both but I imagine a good hop schedule will do more than the water would.
Drinking: AG#7 Final Sprint (APA), AG#8 Buckwheat Brett (Saison - Saison/Brett), AG#9 Helles Meister
Conditioning: -
Fermenting: Selection Pinot Grigio
Planning: Orange Blossom Mead, Mexican Honey Mead, Chocolate Stout

Cpt.Frederickson
Hollow Legs

Post by Cpt.Frederickson » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:34 pm

Apparently, Thornbridge use
Ca 199
Mg 20
Na 30
SO4 412
Cl 123
HCO3 17
This is from Mitch Steele's IPA for Jaipur and Seaforth IPA
The Hand of Doom Brewery and Meadery
Fermenting -
Conditioning - Meads - Raspberry Melomel yeast test, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglyn, Orange Melomel.
Drinking - Youngs AAA Kit; Leatherwood Traditional Mead, Cyser, Ginger Metheglyn.
Planning - Some kits until I can get back to AG, then a hoppy porter, Jim's ESB, some American Red.

SiHoltye

Post by SiHoltye » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:09 pm

Thanks Cpt that's really interesting. Anyone else got any? Come on you pro brewers, let's have a look.