Hard hard water

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Beardy

Hard hard water

Post by Beardy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:29 pm

Afternoon all.

Just thinking about filtering my water. I'm not to bothered about getting to into the dirty with chemistry of my water just at the moment (and I've got a tame chemist on hand when I'm ready for that 8) ) but I would like to make sure that my kit doesn't get silted up like the pans and kettles do. The question is, what's the best way to 'clean' my water without me having to start adding stuff back. As I say, I just ant to keep the limescale at bay for now.

Thanks

Paul

AnthonyUK

Re: Hard hard water

Post by AnthonyUK » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:39 pm

For kits it doesn't make much of a difference but if you want to filter look for an active carbon type.
The inline one for fridges are ideal.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:11 pm

If you are troubled by limescale, the easiest and cheapest solution is to use acid to convert that temporary hardness to the permanent kind. It will likely improve your beer too.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Beardy

Post by Beardy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:28 pm

Eric wrote:If you are troubled by limescale, the easiest and cheapest solution is to use acid to convert that temporary hardness to the permanent kind. It will likely improve your beer too.
Please could you explain that in a bit more detail for the hard of thinking :) I think I might understand, but it's a guess based on o level chemistry rather than understanding based on current knowledge.

Ta

vacant

Post by vacant » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:33 pm

Eric wrote:cheapest solution is to use acid
That's what I do with most of my brews, though as more expensive options I have used just reverse osmosis water (best low-colour beer I've made) or a mixture of tap water and cheapo bottled water for a few brews.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:02 am

Beardy wrote:
Eric wrote:If you are troubled by limescale, the easiest and cheapest solution is to use acid to convert that temporary hardness to the permanent kind. It will likely improve your beer too.
Please could you explain that in a bit more detail for the hard of thinking :) I think I might understand, but it's a guess based on o level chemistry rather than understanding based on current knowledge.

Ta
Most brewing waters start as rain, which absorb carbon dioxide as they fall to earth forming a weak solution of carbonic acid. Should they then make contact with rocks containing some form of limestone, the acid will react to produce soluble bicarbonates of calcium and magnesium which we commonly call alkalinity. These bicarbonates are stable in water but if the water evaporates or boils, stability is lost resulting in limescale deposits.
There are salts of calcium and magnesium that are soluble and stable at all ranges encountered when brewing such as sulphates and chlorides. Sulphuric acid can be used to convert excess bicarbonates to sulphates, hydrochloric acid similarly to chlorides. The data for AMS, commonly known as CRS, a mix of those two acids can be found here where you will find more information.
Excess bicarbonates not only scale your kettle elements, they spoil your beer. If you get them to the right level for your beer, you'll be able to wipe clean your elements with a soft cloth.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

subfaction
Hollow Legs

Post by subfaction » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:15 am

If it's any use I have super hard water, so for brewing have fitted a carbon filter from screwfix which removes a fair amount, including most of the chlorine and chloramines, before each brew I measure the alkalinity with a Salifert kit, and adjust using crs with the water Calc on this site. Works for me!

LeeH
Under the Table

Hard hard water

Post by LeeH » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:50 pm

Carbon filters remove chlorine amongst other things, they don't soften water.

They make no difference in total dissolved solids. You need a RO unit or a DI resin filter for that.

I use a 3 stage version of yours subfraction.

Like this http://www.thewatersite.co.uk/Aquatic_p ... source=gmc
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

subfaction
Hollow Legs

Post by subfaction » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:13 am

I'm not sure on the chemistry but I've noticed a massive reduction in scale build up when using the filter on the kitchen kettle, so I'd expect it to be taking some out...

subfaction
Hollow Legs

Post by subfaction » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:15 am

chastuck
Hollow Legs

Post by chastuck » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:00 am

subfaction wrote:If it's any use I have super hard water, so for brewing have fitted a carbon filter from screwfix which removes a fair amount, including most of the chlorine and chloramines, before each brew I measure the alkalinity with a Salifert kit, and adjust using crs with the water Calc on this site. Works for me!
Your carbon filter just might remove chlorine if the flow is slow enough, but it will not remove chloramines or bicarbonate.

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:13 am

subfaction wrote:It's this one http://m.screwfix.com/p/water-filter-kit/14306
Looking at it it appears to also do ion exchange. Magnesium for Calcium in this instance.