Flat hose - need to be food grade?

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Cully
Even further under the Table
Location: with the powers of light and dark... I.e. Newcastle

Flat hose - need to be food grade?

Post by Cully » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:27 pm

I am planning to fill my Buffalo HLT in my Brewzeebo by hosepipe from the kitchen tap 50 feet away. I fancy getting a cheap flat hose to do the job but would it have to be food grade? Or does it not matter as its going to get the arse boiled out of it?

this is the one I was looking at

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national ... =aff_1&nlp
Nothing's forgotten, nothings EVER forgotten...

boingy

Re: Flat hose - need to be food grade?

Post by boingy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:01 am

Technically, yes, it needs to be food grade. Boiling will kill bugs but not necessarily get rid of any chemicals that might leech out of the hose.
In practice the most likely downside is that you might get a bit of a plasticky taste to your first few batches. At you use the hose more, this will diminish.

If you want to be 100% sure then get yourself some food grade hose aimed at caravans/boats but it won't be as cheap as that flat one you found.

Cully

Post by Cully » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:52 am

Aye, looks like 25 - 30 quid for the caravan stuff, Boingy - but if I need it I'll get it. Not planning to treat my water for the first few brews to get the process right before anything else, so the fewer "added" taints/flavours - the better. I am a couple of weeks off getting my 60 ltr copper, then its all systems go.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:01 pm

I agree it could introduce a plastic smell/taste. I use one for chilling, but use 10 litre foodsafe containers from Dunelm to carry water which could be an alternative. Like the smaller one pictured below but with a carrying handle one will safely carry 8 litres avoiding spillage. Alkalinity is treated while they are in these or can be used to transport hot water from the combi. I've 3 which stack to save space when not in use, cost about £3 each and find all sorts purposes. Just a thought.

Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Grumpydev
Piss Artist

Post by Grumpydev » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:18 pm

This is the hose I intend to use - never managed to get any food safe connectors though, although I guess that's far less important because there's much less of it in contact with the water.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380481351053

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:24 pm

Grumpydev wrote:This is the hose I intend to use - never managed to get any food safe connectors though, although I guess that's far less important because there's much less of it in contact with the water.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380481351053
fwiw thats the stuff i have been using for the last year or so without any probs..
and i use genuine hozelock connections on it rather than cheaper knock offs
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Cully

Post by Cully » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:37 am

Eric you just hit the nail right on the head for me. At That price its a no brainer. Thank you :)

boingy

Post by boingy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:56 am

Actually, yeah, sometimes we miss the simple, obvious solution. For a while I was brewing in the garage but fermenting in the house and I was always plotting a cunning pump and hose solution to transfer the wort. In the meantime, I just used two 3 gallon young's brewing buckets to transfer the wort. Cheap, easy to store and, crucially, easy to keep clean.

Cully

Post by Cully » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:30 am

Aye, I was that way with my cheap buffalo - ready to send it back and agonize over getting something else because that had changed the hole shape. Took Wezzel to point out that you could get along fine with the tap thats on the thing. Easy to fall in to blinkered thinking.