Alkalinity level for this brew

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
rob-63

Alkalinity level for this brew

Post by rob-63 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:56 am

My next brew is probably going to be an Owd Roger clone with the following grain bill:

6.6 kg Maris Otter Pale (90.4%)
0.7 kg Brown Malt (9.6%)

My water has an alkalinity of around 136 mg/L, which I have been leaving as is for porters or stouts (for a pale I try to get it down
to around 40). Is this an ok level for the Owd Roger?

Also, should I be aiming for the same chloride to sulphate ratio of around 2:1 as I do for a stout and porter?

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Alkalinity level for this brew

Post by Aleman » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:00 am

I'd possibly aim for around 50-60, so 130 is way out of the ball park ;)

For me I'd probably go with a more sulphate forward profile for a big beer simply that you need to overcome that sweetness, plus as the beer ages the sweetness will come to dominate . . . 2:1 Sulphate to chloride with about 75mg/l chloride

rob-63

Post by rob-63 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:10 am

Thanks Aleman.

Will the 10% of brown malt not have a similar affect to the mash pH as the dark grains in a porter?

I thought that dark grains increase the acidity of the mash meaning it's better to have higher alkalinity water?

BenB

Post by BenB » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:14 am

Quick mini mash to test?

Aleman

Post by Aleman » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:22 am

rob-63 wrote:Will the 10% of brown malt not have a similar affect to the mash pH as the dark grains in a porter?

I thought that dark grains increase the acidity of the mash meaning it's better to have higher alkalinity water?
Not all 'dark' grains have as big an effect on mash pH as you might expect . . . Crystal malts have a much bigger effect. The difference between 5% 120 EBC Crystal and 5% Roast barley in a mash is surprising . . . The crystal has a bigger effect.

It's going to be down to just how brown your malt is, but I would bet it's going to be around the 150EBC mark, Chocolate is up at around 600 and Roast Barley and Black malts are way up there at 1200-1400.

If I'm using a grist I'm unfamiliar with, I will run a series of test mini mashes (300ml of water) with the grist and waters of different alkalinities to determine what the 'optimum' alkalinity for the grist will be, it only takes an hour or so to do.

rob-63

Post by rob-63 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:06 am

My brown malt is 480 EBC.

I've never done a test mini mash before. To your 300ml of water you add an amount of grains, then test pH after a certain time?

Aleman

Post by Aleman » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:22 am

Blimey that is dark :shock:

Mini mash - Take 100g of your grist, slightly finer grind (*) if you can arrange it, and mix it with 250ml of liquor at 65C. Keep it at 65C for 10 minutes, but stir a couple of times if you can. . . Take a sample of the liquor after 10 minutes cool it rapidly to 20C and check the pH with a reliable, accurate and calibrated pH Meter. Repeat for other levels of alkalinity . . . if you get used to it, you can do 6 or 7 at a time :D

(*) I run my grist for the mini mashes through a coffee grinder set to very coarse so its more of a very coarse ground flour rather than a 'proper' grind.

rob-63

Post by rob-63 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:33 am

I think I need to check that EBC... I'm only going by a note I have to hand, not the grain label itself.

Thanks for the process, I'll give it a go with some of my malts.

Then it's just a case of what to do with the results, as the grain bill will only have a small percentage of those tested.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:50 am

Aleman wrote:Blimey that is dark :shock:
It certainly is. The Brown Malts I've seen are more around the 150 mark. I would double check that.
Best wishes

Dave

Aleman

Post by Aleman » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:15 am

rob-63 wrote:Thanks for the process, I'll give it a go with some of my malts.
You don't test the malts individually but the grist so a mixture of 91% pale and 9% Brown . . . Then vary the alkalinity in the liquor

rob-63

Post by rob-63 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:40 am

Well, I checked the Brown malt, and the label definitely says EBC 480. Now I am wondering if the 9.6% is too much for the recipe.....

Aleman

Post by Aleman » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:07 am

I would have thought at nearly 500EBC that is falling into the range of Chocolate malt.

Looking at teh malt miller site his Brown malt is 120-140EBC, he has Pale Chocolate at 500-550 and Chocolate at :shock: 950.

Crisps Maltings list Brown at 120-150
Warminster list theirs as 95-130.

I don't know where Adrian sourced that malt from, but it's way out of spec for what I and other brewers would know as brown malt, I'd also suspect that it was different from what the original recipe used.

If you are going to use it I agree with you that 9% might be too much. If you are going strictly for colour then you could reduce it by 2/3rds so around 225g, but the flavour profile will be different as well . . . dramatically so ?? no idea, but I would have expected some biscuity flavours from Brown malt, where with that darker roast you are going to get more of a typical roast/chocolate malt flavour profile

rob-63

Post by rob-63 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:51 am

It does seem to be way out on typical spec of a brown malt, and definitely not as was intended in the original recipe.

I think I'll get a new batch of brown malt for this brew, so that I'm more confident it'll turn out closer to the intended finished beer.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:13 pm

rob-63 wrote:Well, I checked the Brown malt, and the label definitely says EBC 480. Now I am wondering if the 9.6% is too much for the recipe.....

I also got a pack of that brown malt recently. And I compared it to a pack of 150EBC brown malt I already had to hand. I can't see a difference in colour, so I had presumed that it had been mislabelled.

I'll check more carefully tonight, perhaps do a taste test too.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:23 am

Paul at THBS says that he thinks the brown malt I purchased this week will have come from Warminster, and so would be in the range of 90-130 EBC - the packet is wrong.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.