CRS and DLS

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Cxp073

CRS and DLS

Post by Cxp073 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:14 pm

Hi guys

I've decided to focus on liquor quality as my next 'challenge'. The problem I'm having, is that much of the information on the 'net is American - I've noted no mention of CRS or DLS.

It seems to me, that by using CRS and DLS i can easily ensure that the alkalinity and calcium content is in the right range for the beer I want to produce. The confusion sets in when I come across statements like 'it's the mash pH that matters'..

Now, from what I understand, the mash pH is determined partly by the water, and partly by the grains used. But, confusingly, the CRS and DLS instructions don't seem to take into account what ingredients are being used. They do, however, talk about different beer 'styles' and the level of calcium and alkalinity of the brewing liquor needed to brew these well.

Is it assumed that by adding the appropriate level of DLS and CRS, to get the appropriate alkalinity and calcium content based on the 'style' to be brewed, that your pH will end up being in the right range for that style?

Hopefully that makes sense.

Cheers!

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Re: CRS and DLS

Post by Brewedout » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:23 pm

Search for Alemans posts on here (I think) he has provided loads of information on this previously.

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:36 pm

double post :oops:
Last edited by Mr. Dripping on Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:36 pm

Personally I would look at an alternative to CRS and DLS.
The problem is that their constituent parts are in fixed ratios and depending on what is already in your water, their use can throw the finished water profile right out of balance by adding way too much or not enough of a particular substance.

Use of CRS/DLS makes assumptions on the types of grist used for particular beers........It is a 'one size fits all approach' that may or may not work depending on your starting water and the actual grist.
In my case, I was having to use so much CRS that it sent the chloride level sky high.

I assume you have something to measure the alkalinity of your liquor?
I would point you towards a piece of software called Bru'n'Water, which has served me very well (although some do not like it).
You can find online suppliers of sulphuric, hydrochloric and lactic acid.....I would recommend you use single acids rather that the CRS. This way you are in control of the flavour ions that are being added to the liquor. Like wise with salts....get separate salts of calcium chloride, calcium sulphate, epsom salts etc.

The Bru'n'Water program is a bit fiddly, but you will soon get the hang of it.
You basically enter your water profile, grist used, brew length, mash liquor etc and it will show you how much of a particular acid to use to ensure your mash pH falls in to the correct range.
It also has a section where you make your salt additions and it shows their effect on the finished water profile.....this makes hitting your desired water profile quite easy.

Edit - it is worth paying to get your water professionally tested.....member wallybrew can help you with this.

Cxp073

CRS and DLS

Post by Cxp073 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:18 pm

Mr dripping - thanks. I've decided to go down the route of using individual acids - probably lactic acid. I'm going to be getting my water tested - assuming I can get in touch with WallyBrew ill be using his testing service.

Do I need to buy all of the salts listed in BruNWater or can I make do with only a few? If so, which should I buy?

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:24 pm

My first step if I was you would be to get your water analysed by Wallybrew , otherwise like Aleman has stated several times any water treatments that you do would just be like witchcraft . Once you have the report back you will then know which acids and salts ( if any ) you will require to brew the beer styles you want.
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:25 pm

Doubling your responses using the power of Facebook and JBK I see.

Aleman (Tony) gave some wise words in his Facebook post so I'd listen to that.

Cxp073

Post by Cxp073 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:40 pm

Matt - when I reach out for help, I use everything at my disposal!
Yeah, I'm gonna get the water analysed first before I do anything - that's for sure. I'll report back soon!

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:42 am

Cxp073 wrote: I've decided to go down the route of using individual acids - probably lactic acid.
Lactic will deal with your alkalinity but if you use a combination of sulphuric and hydrochloric you can do that and make adjustment to the flavour ions. Depending upon your starting water profile you can achieve the water profile you want without using any salts or run the risk of overdoing the lactic and getting the trots. :D
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:06 am

Yeah, if I had followed the treatment recommendations using lactic acid brewing a Lager with my first water analysis from an unreliable lab, I would have been shitting like a new born baby [-X .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:59 pm

Never used it but have heard that Lactic acid also leaves a distinct and possibly unwanted taste in the finished beer. As others have said, Sulphuric and Hydrochloric will give much better results.
Best wishes

Dave

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:26 pm

CRS is a useful tool and widely available, although you need another acid (I use phosphoric) to allow you to avoid overdoing things in any one direction.

Bru n Water will help you nail the use of acids in conjunction with other salts as well as the mash pH.

DLS I have used, but I wouldn't bother with it again - buy separate gypsum, calcium chloride and possibly Epsom salts as then you can adjust the profile as much as you want.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.