Understanding my water report

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Understanding my water report

Post by Matt in Birdham » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:56 pm

Thanks. Yeah, sort of my thoughts. I've only brewed 3 times with this water, but fermentation has been swift and vigorous for all, so if that is what Mg is supposed to affect then I don't think I have a problem. I use CaCl and gpysum, with acidulated malt for mash ph. That's probably enough to be going on with..

kearnage
Piss Artist

Post by kearnage » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:13 pm

Thanks Aleman

I'll sit down later with a nice pint and try to get my head around it all. It's good to find somebody who knows what they are talking about that also has water similar to mine. Everything I had read before seemed to be related to reducing alkalinity.

WallyBrew
Hollow Legs

Post by WallyBrew » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:17 pm

vacant wrote:
kearnage wrote:This bit is confusing me something crazy.
Me too. Entering those figures into the Liquor Treatment Calculator gives a water that can't exist. Initial ion balance check result: 1.47 and 1.26 see note 3: "The two figures should be within 10 per cent at worst".

But if your total alkalinity is 26, not 16 then it all balances nicely. Typo?
Well it does exist and it came out of his tap.

You are relying on the inadequacies of the calculator, which is incomplete for this purpose and the note 3 that is badly worded at best. Whilst % is easy to understand, errors vary with the concentration that are not concomitant with the % term.

If you take the analysis as given you will get a difference of anions - cations of -0.13 which is within the dodgy 10% figure. The water is also likely to contain some siliceous matter which is not accounted for in the balance.

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:45 pm

Jocky wrote:Best calculator to start with is this one. http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/water.html
Apparently not :shock: - see post above
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:36 pm

vacant wrote:
Jocky wrote:Best calculator to start with is this one. http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/water.html
Apparently not :shock: - see post above
Apparently not indeed.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Jim my

Post by Jim my » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:18 am

EDIT: Please ignore this. Just me asking a stupid question ( which I have deleted) when the answer was staring me in the face. :roll:

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:43 am

kearnage wrote:OK, Thanks for the help.

I think I'm going to get my water tested properly (by WallyBrew if I can), use that as a base and test alkalinity for each brew and adjust as needed.
All you need. Except for sulphuric and hydrochloric acid, oh and a pipette for accurate additions. Bet you post about which pH meter to buy. :D
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

kearnage
Piss Artist

Post by kearnage » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:00 am

I'll start looking around for one now.

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:58 pm

kearnage wrote:I'll start looking around for one now. Image

Like Autumn leaves they fall one by one. :lol: Welcome to the real Dark Side. :twisted:

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:05 am

Aleman wrote: I've run the results through my fav calculator and it certainly balances at only 0.14 milliequivilants difference
Watertemp01.PNG
I have had a look around and cannot find that calculator readily available?
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:04 am

barneey wrote:
Aleman wrote: I've run the results through my fav calculator and it certainly balances at only 0.14 milliequivilants difference
Watertemp01.PNG
I have had a look around and cannot find that calculator readily available?
Yes, Shame That :P

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:32 am

I have very soft Manchester water. I either steep dark grains separately, or add them to the mash for the last 30 mins. Do these methods remove the need to add potassium bicarbonate to the mash? I never have done. I stick to just gypsum and calcium chloride, and I never measure the PH.

kearnage
Piss Artist

Post by kearnage » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:48 am

orlando wrote:
kearnage wrote:I'll start looking around for one now. :D

Like Autumn leaves they fall one by one. :lol: Welcome to the real Dark Side. :twisted:
I've decided that a PH meter and a refractometer are my Christmas gadgets of choice. [-o<

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:53 am

I have water with similarly low alkalinity but I never try to increase alkalinity with stouts and other dark beers. What is likely to be wrong with these beers as a result?

orlando

Post by orlando » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:23 pm

rpt wrote:I have water with similarly low alkalinity but I never try to increase alkalinity with stouts and other dark beers. What is likely to be wrong with these beers as a result?
Darker roast malts have an acidifying effect on the mash, alkalinity acts as a buffer, resisting a shift in pH, the higher your alkalinity the less acidification required, e.g. CRS or other acids. If your mash pH falls below 5.2 you run the risk of extracting harsh tannins from the malt making the beer more astringent, there can also be issues with attenuation. I've even tasted a slightly sour note, but Guinness make a virtue out of it so what do we know. :D

Fermenting:
Conditioning: