using Brita style filtered water for mash... remove chlorine

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
chris172
Piss Artist

using Brita style filtered water for mash... remove chlorine

Post by chris172 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:50 pm

Is there any reason why using a Brita style filter to remove chlorine etc.. is not OK??

I am told by my LHBS that my water is quite good and doesn't need 'adjusting'... report can be found here.... https://www.dropbox.com/s/6v4m5zcqdo7uj ... 5.pdf?dl=0

I've had a couple of brews that were not the best and just drinkable but i'm totally lost on the water chemistry front. I have read and read but it still baffles me.

Can anyone have a quick look and advise?

TIA

Chris
All the gear with no idea...
Braumeister 20L - NOW SOLD

AnthonyUK

Re: using Brita style filtered water for mash... remove chlo

Post by AnthonyUK » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:05 pm

Yeah there is. It doesn't just remove chlorine which a plain active carbon filter will do but also reduces 'hardness' by 'ion exchange' which is swapping calcium and magnesium with sodium.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:12 pm

chris172 wrote:Is there any reason why using a Brita style filter to remove chlorine etc.. is not OK??

I am told by my LHBS that my water is quite good and doesn't need 'adjusting'... report can be found here.... https://www.dropbox.com/s/6v4m5zcqdo7uj ... 5.pdf?dl=0

I've had a couple of brews that were not the best and just drinkable but i'm totally lost on the water chemistry front. I have read and read but it still baffles me.

Can anyone have a quick look and advise?

TIA

Chris
I'm in Anglia water territory and that report is of limited use, they are only averages and they only have to report every 6 months. My advice would be to have a proper water analysis from WallyBrew on here. Your alkalinity levels are surprisingly low for this area but I also note they say 181 in the first box (calcium carbonate and later on for alkalinity they give 115 :roll: . As alkalinity is a key parameter I would suggest you get a Salifert kit for testing alkalinity, as it is one that can change quite significantly. Once you have both of these I suggest you look at the water "tutorial" that Aleman has posted on here for some background to the whole issue. However, water treatment is really the last thing you need to worry about, there are plenty of things that can go "wrong" that water treatment will never fix. I wouldn't bother with the Brita as filtering all your water to remove chlorine is a darned sight more difficult than 1/2 a crushed Campden tablet. :D Plus it can add sodium at the expense of calcium, not good.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:48 pm

If that filter is an ion exchange, then as advised by AnthonyUK, steer well clear.
You've got the problem that faces most brewers in the UK.
Again, as said, some bit of a Campden Tablet into all water used for a 23 litre brew should remove worries about chlorine, but then it will still have too much alkalinity. Get your homebrew shop to supply you with some CRS and a Salifert kit from Ebay will allow you to measure your alkalinity before and after treatment. If after doing those your beer isn't very good, you've a problem to find. If it is very good, get your water tested by WallyBrew and do some reading that you might take even further advantages of all the good qualities of your water.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:48 pm

I used a Brita filter for many years with good results. If all you want to do is remove chlorine you don't need to filter your water, all you need to do is let it set out overnight in an open container.
If your water has the chloramine that a lot of water companies now use then you need to treat your water somehow.
I'm just here for the beer.