Adding salts to the grain

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Adding salts to the grain

Post by Eric » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:38 pm

BenB wrote:It's true about profiles being averages and sometimes unhelpful. The listed water profiles are for the local water profile by a time when analysis was available. By that time the profiles had often diverted quite significantly from the water that was available when that area became known for a certain style and by that point brewers also had available salts, acids and other ways of adjusting their water.

Even if you look at brewing texts in the 1700s they talk of using well water for dark water and river water for light beers. So define the local "profile". The London water profile is a classic example- it started quite soft but as the Thames got more and more polluted and pollution got into the shallow well water, deeper (more mineralised) wells were dug. Everyone talks about Guiness and high alkalinity (as shown in the Dublin profile). But the Guiness brewery is fed from water drawn from the River Niffey long before it goes over the limestone area that gives the high alkalinity. I seem to recall Martin Brungard having done extensive work on Irish water profiles- I hope I have remembered his conclusions correctly.

So city water profiles are an average arm-waving profile measured at a time by the point brewers were already adding salts, mixing water sources and other things to get the liquour to what they needed to make a beer that often was originally made with quite a different water source.

In terms of the original question I have no idea! I've read a lot on water (certainly enough to muddy the liqour even further!) but opinions still vary....

I think the suggestion that you add salts to the grain is that the acidic mash conditions might help dissolve certain salts. But equally adding them to the water as it heats up gives it longer to dissolve and means the mash pH will reach target quicker.
BenB wrote:Okay so its gets even more complicated than that...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=476312

Martin Brungard gives some very interesting info on that thread, including the advice not to over-mineralise beer, so perhaps poor dissolving by adding to liquour rather than the mash isn't a problem :lol:
While the above picture contains true statements, it is also rather deceptive.
Guinness currently use soft water and have done so for some little time, but when Guinness started brewing they had no soft water supply, nor on the Liffey to take that water. The Dublin Corporation entered into a contract in 1765 with the company building the Grand canal to supply water to Dublin and it was this in the dispute with Guinness. Another hundred years past before the project bringing soft water to Dublin was started. Below are extracts from The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland, a four volume series by Alfred Barnard, on his visit to St James about 1890 when it had a connection this softer water supply.

Why ignor information from books of such standing?

Beer can be brewed with low and high ion beers and anywhere in between, each with their benefits and each with their disadvantages depending what the drinker finds important. I live and started drinking in an area with moderately hard water and find it is easily to treat to make beers that suit my tastes. On the other hand there will be those who have been raised on beers made with low ion waters who need to start with such water to make a beer to their taste. What we do find is that it was areas of harder waters that had the most breweries when the industry grew at its fastest rate.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:46 pm

BenB wrote:It's true. The salts and CRS Brupaks sell are rebranded commercial products. However there are two separate salts DLS (Dry Liquor Salts) and Burton Salts. So if you're using Burton Water Crystals you're not using what Murphy's recommended as they specified DWB which is DLS not Burton Water Crystals. The later is mostly Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate)- good for boosting sulfate levels of Burton Ales. For most other beer styles we'd use DLS which is a mixture of Calcium Chloride and Calcium Sulfate IIRC. It still pushes things most towards sulfate than cloride but not as much as Burton Crystals which are almost completely sulfate...
Oh dear, this gets more confusing by the minute!

The tub I'm using is labelled 'Burton water crystals'. The bloke in my LHBS told me this was the same as DLS/DWB, just renamed.

I've got some Calcium Chloride and Calcium Sulphate. Should I ditch the Burton water crystals and try making my own up? If so, how much of what?

Leaving all that aside, I'm still making very drinkable beer, even if I am adding the wrong stuff!

Guy

WallyBrew
Hollow Legs

Post by WallyBrew » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:10 pm

guypettigrew wrote: The tub I'm using is labelled 'Burton water crystals'. The bloke in my LHBS told me this was the same as DLS/DWB, just renamed.

I've got some Calcium Chloride and Calcium Sulphate. Should I ditch the Burton water crystals and try making my own up? If so, how much of what?
They are not the same thing. Brupaks advise that Burton water crystals are a mix of calcium sulphate and magnesium sulphate. So it will be mainly calcium sulphate.

You may as well just add the same amount of calcium sulphate in place of the Burton water crystals.

To vary it just replace some of the calcium sulphate with calcium chloride and see if you like the taste.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:49 am

Excellent and straightforward idea, WallyBrew. Thanks.

Next brew I'll try 12g of calcium sulphate and 5g of calcium chloride and see if I can tell any difference in character in the finished beer.

Guy

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:58 pm

WallyBrew wrote:
guypettigrew wrote: The tub I'm using is labelled 'Burton water crystals'. The bloke in my LHBS told me this was the same as DLS/DWB, just renamed.

They are not the same thing. Brupaks advise that Burton water crystals are a mix of calcium sulphate and magnesium sulphate. So it will be mainly calcium sulphate.

You may as well just add the same amount of calcium sulphate in place of the Burton water crystals.

To vary it just replace some of the calcium sulphate with calcium chloride and see if you like the taste.
guypettigrew wrote:Excellent and straightforward idea, WallyBrew. Thanks.

Next brew I'll try 12g of calcium sulphate and 5g of calcium chloride and see if I can tell any difference in character in the finished beer.

Guy
So, result time--sort of!!

Following Mr Wallybrew's suggestion, the last brew had about 70% 'Burton water crystals' and 30% calcium chloride.

It's impossible to be anything like scientific about this. The previous brew (all Burton water crystals) was a straightforward bitter. Pale malt, crystal malt, Challenger and Cascade hops.

The one with the altered liquor treatment was very different. Pale malt, Munich malt, Caramalt, Motueka hops.

The process was the same. The equipment was the same.

But there is a real qualitative difference between the two. The Motueka beer is more balanced. It's easier in the mouth. It's the sort of beer you'd go back to at a beer festival. The one without the calcium chloride (just the Burton water crystals, in other words) is the sort of beer you'd really enjoy at a beer festival, then move on to the next one.

Or, to put it another way, many thanks Wallybrew. My brew tomorrow ( pale malt, munich malt, caragold, Cascade and Nelson Sauvin) will also have the calcium chloride in.

Guy

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:46 am

guypettigrew wrote: there is a real qualitative difference between the two. The Motueka beer is more balanced. It's easier in the mouth. It's the sort of beer you'd go back to at a beer festival. The one without the calcium chloride (just the Burton water crystals, in other words) is the sort of beer you'd really enjoy at a beer festival, then move on to the next one.
The balance or ratio between sulphate and chloride is something a lot of brewers manipulate to affect a change in the perception (flavour) of a beer. A sulphate bias is something given to paler hoppier beers to emphasise hop flavour and bitterness. Chloride biased beers tend to be darker beers (TTL is a notable exception) where the brewer looks to emphasise the malt character giving more rounded flavours and mouth feel. The problem with proprietary "salt" brands is they deliver their salts in a fixed ratio. If you wish to get a little more control over these flavour influencers it is advisable to purchase calcium sulphate and calcium chloride separately. Using GW's water calculator on here should help you make theses adjustments with a little more precision, opening up all sorts of experiments.

As for the comment about "over mineralisation" this is a difference of perception based on National palates and something British brewers would vigorously challenge. :D
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:01 pm

orlando wrote:
guypettigrew wrote: there is a real qualitative difference between the two. The Motueka beer is more balanced. It's easier in the mouth. It's the sort of beer you'd go back to at a beer festival. The one without the calcium chloride (just the Burton water crystals, in other words) is the sort of beer you'd really enjoy at a beer festival, then move on to the next one.
The balance or ratio between sulphate and chloride is something a lot of brewers manipulate to affect a change in the perception (flavour) of a beer. A sulphate bias is something given to paler hoppier beers to emphasise hop flavour and bitterness. Chloride biased beers tend to be darker beers (TTL is a notable exception) where the brewer looks to emphasise the malt character giving more rounded flavours and mouth feel. The problem with proprietary "salt" brands is they deliver their salts in a fixed ratio. If you wish to get a little more control over these flavour influencers it is advisable to purchase calcium sulphate and calcium chloride separately. Using GW's water calculator on here should help you make theses adjustments with a little more precision, opening up all sorts of experiments.

As for the comment about "over mineralisation" this is a difference of perception based on National palates and something British brewers would vigorously challenge. :D
Very diplomatically put :wink:
Best wishes

Dave

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:00 pm

Dave S wrote:
Very diplomatically put :wink:
I'm a moderate(or) man. :wink:

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:00 pm

guypettigrew wrote:Excellent and straightforward idea, WallyBrew. Thanks.

Guy
Apparently it doesn't matter when in the process you add minerals for "flavour", and in fact you can add them directly to your glass to achieve the same effect.
One experiment I've been meaning to try for a while now is to pour a few glasses of a beer that I have brewed (so that I have a reasonable handle on which mineral additions were made), and then add varying amounts of CaCl and Gypsum to different glasses. The recommended way of doing this is to make up a solution of each, of a known strength, and then just add measured amounts to different glasses (you won't need a lot). This should help in finding that sweet spot (of personal preference) an awful lot quicker than brewing whole batches with varying additions, with fewer other variables (i.e. none).
Now I think of it, I really need to crack on with this soon - should be really interesting.

BenB

Post by BenB » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:51 pm

There is an interesting experiment on that on brulosophy (or whatever it is called) under the xbeeriments. I'm currently setting up for my own low mineral vs high mineral summer ale experiment. ....

simmyb
Piss Artist

Post by simmyb » Mon May 02, 2016 4:02 pm

orlando wrote: Chloride biased beers tend to be darker beers (TTL is a notable exception)
Interesting... I have gone through a few iterations of TTL without getting a good clone, but still tasty beer. Do you happen to know what the Sulphate/Chloride balance would be for TTL?

Cheers, Simon
Primary : AG138 Amarillo Pale Ale
Conditioning : AG137 Mosaic Pale Ale
Drinking: AG131 London Bitter, AG132 Yorkshire Bitter, AG133 Guinnish, AG134 Witbier, AG135 Challenger Pale Ale, AG136 Kveik IPA,
Planning: Perle faux lager

orlando

Post by orlando » Tue May 03, 2016 7:29 am

simmyb wrote:
orlando wrote: Chloride biased beers tend to be darker beers (TTL is a notable exception)
Interesting... I have gone through a few iterations of TTL without getting a good clone, but still tasty beer. Do you happen to know what the Sulphate/Chloride balance would be for TTL?

Cheers, Simon

I'm away right now but it was Eric that gave me ratio, something like 2 or even 3:1 but PM him for a more precise profile.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue May 03, 2016 10:13 am

orlando wrote:
simmyb wrote:

Cheers, Simon

I'm away right now but it was Eric that gave me ratio, something like 2 or even 3:1 but PM him for a more precise profile.
Well, actually it wasn't me, I only had the gut feeling. It's not only the ratio that's important, but the relatively low level of sulphate with a chloride level someone tells you not to use.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

simmyb
Piss Artist

Post by simmyb » Tue May 03, 2016 5:21 pm

Thanks for the steer. I will have a go at working out a profile along these lines (and I'll ignore the various red flag pop ups on the calculator as I always do!) and hopefully Version IV TTL will be yet nearer!

Cheers, Simon
Primary : AG138 Amarillo Pale Ale
Conditioning : AG137 Mosaic Pale Ale
Drinking: AG131 London Bitter, AG132 Yorkshire Bitter, AG133 Guinnish, AG134 Witbier, AG135 Challenger Pale Ale, AG136 Kveik IPA,
Planning: Perle faux lager