I'm so lucky

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

I'm so lucky

Post by Rookie » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:28 pm

I just checked with my local water company and they definitely use chlorine and not chloramine to sanitize my water, so all I have to do is leave my brewing water out overnight in an open container.
The only time that I do much with my water is when I make a pilsner or other beer that needs soft water and all I do then is mix in 33-50% distilled water.
I'm just here for the beer.

Jim
Site Admin

Re: I'm so lucky

Post by Jim » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:24 pm

Yes, it's nice when you don't have to do a lot of work to get your water ready for brewing. Some aren't so lucky!
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:46 pm

Rookie wrote:I just checked with my local water company and they definitely use chlorine and not chloramine to sanitize my water, so all I have to do is leave my brewing water out overnight in an open container.
The only time that I do much with my water is when I make a pilsner or other beer that needs soft water and all I do then is mix in 33-50% distilled water.
How do you know how much to use 33-50% seems a little vague? If you are working from a water suppliers report they are often averages from maybe one or two data points. If you're going to get into water treatment it is important to know what you are dealing with otherwise it just becomes guesswork and that might not produce better than hoped for results. If you get your water tested by WallyBrew on here you will have an excellent starting point for making the right decisions and avoid "black magic".
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

WallyBrew
Hollow Legs

Post by WallyBrew » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:40 pm

orlando wrote: If you get your water tested by WallyBrew on here you will have an excellent starting point for making the right decisions and avoid "black magic".
Don't think he'll bother with that as he's in Washington State US of A so Wards would be a lot cheaper. Something tells me they are in Nebraska but that may be a memory glitch.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:43 am

WallyBrew wrote:
orlando wrote: If you get your water tested by WallyBrew on here you will have an excellent starting point for making the right decisions and avoid "black magic".
Don't think he'll bother with that as he's in Washington State US of A so Wards would be a lot cheaper. Something tells me they are in Nebraska but that may be a memory glitch.
:lol: Didn't notice that, wonder what the difference in cost would be. Anyway all those experts they have over their should see him right. :wink:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer