Campden tablets

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
sonicated
Hollow Legs

Campden tablets

Post by sonicated » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:16 pm

I have switched to using tap water for brewing kits so I fill an FV with water and add half a crushed campden tablet. I'm then finding it quite difficult filling the kettle from this FV. Once it's boiled I use another FV to mix the kit, hot water and eventually the water from the first FV.

Can I use tap water in the kettle and trust the campden tablet in the treated water will neutralise the chlorine and chloramine once all mixed in? This will save me from buying a bucket with a tap on.

alexlark
Under the Table

Re: Campden tablets

Post by alexlark » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:07 pm

I do it the same way as you but use a cheap 2l measuring jug too. I fill the jug from the FV and then put that in the kettle.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:16 pm

sonicated wrote:
Can I use tap water in the kettle and trust the campden tablet in the treated water will neutralise the chlorine and chloramine once all mixed in? This will save me from buying a bucket with a tap on.

Which one does your water have? My water has chlorine and all it takes is leaving the water out overnight in an uncovered bucket or two.
I'm just here for the beer.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:52 am

If kit brewing, why not fill the FV with the total water needed, treat with the campden tab, and then jug out the water needed to mix and boil the kits lme and your added sugars, then pour the hot mix back into the FV to mix in with the cod water and bring the temp down to pitching friendly levels..

Or are you boiling the full volume? if so why?? only reason i am aware of would be to remove some temporary hardness, but unless you then draw off the water leaving the scum surface and any sediment deposits behind, you risk it disolving back into the brew in the fv ..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

sonicated
Hollow Legs

Post by sonicated » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:19 am

Thanks for all the responses. I've recently moved and I do not think my water has chloramine in it. Where I previously lived if I took a pint of tap water to bed in the morning it always tasted of TCP, now it doesn't. That said the way water companies transport/treat water I don't want to risk it so will always use half a campden tablet.

I didn't really want to dip a jug into the water if I can avoid it due to the potential risk of infection, but I assume this must be very low if you guys never have a problem :)

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:20 am

clean and sanitise the inside and outside of the jug and stand it on a clean and sanitised surface between use ;) I use no rinse sanitiser s and keep a bowl handy on brewday for keeping the odds n sods i use sterile between uses..

Some errant microlife gaining access to the wort is virtually inevitable, however we pitch a huge population of yeast, and this should out eat and grow to stifle and starve out anything unwanted. Its a numbers game stacked very highly in favour of our yeast population.

All us brewers can do is maintain the cleanliness and sanitation standards that will keep the odds stacked in the favour of wholesome tasty beer ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(