Rainwater Cistern

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Jonathan Briggs

Rainwater Cistern

Post by Jonathan Briggs » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:46 am

I have a rainwater cistern in my back garden that I would like to use for my homebrewing.

However, I would like to verify that it is safe to do so. Does anyone know of any companies that offer small scale one off pathogen testing (and also brewing ion testing too if possible).

Thanks.

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Rainwater Cistern

Post by Jim » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:57 am

If you live in an area with any kind of air pollution (e.g. a lot of traffic) I wouldn't recommend it.

I tried collecting rainwater to use for brewing once, but I could taste the exhaust fumes in the water. Yuk!
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Jonathan Briggs

Post by Jonathan Briggs » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:09 am

It's an underground cistern, like a well, not a water butt.

Traffic pollution would be the last of my worries :)
Attachments
11150979_807916729256567_103253511910114599_n.jpg
Well/Water Cistern

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:53 am

Ah, thats nice - I understand the desire to use it now. Though it may depend on the consistency as well as safety, if it changes brew to brew things could get more complicated, though you could still test total alkalinity and calcium with home kits.

WallyBrew on here provides water testing for brewing, which many informed members use and seem to rate the results highly.

Sadly I'm no water expert myself, but I wonder what exactly you'd need to worry about and so test for from a safety perspective; it may be that no common pathogens could survive a 90min boil whereas other things could, and there would presumably be inorganic components to check for the absence of. If/when you find out I'd be interested to hear.
Kev

Jonathan Briggs

Post by Jonathan Briggs » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:45 pm

Indeed it is. I like the idea of using water from beneath my feet instead of a reservoir miles away.

What I really need (and have only just found out) is the potability of the water (is it fit for human consumption) and not the ionic breakdown for brewing.

Rather than relying on a boil to make the water safe, I want to know that the water is safe before than (belt and braces) so I don't harm anyone (including myself).

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:08 pm

I think you're worrying a little too much tbh - remember beer was the reason your distant ancestors survived the middle ages as it was the only form of purification available to them !

You'll likely be able to find local environmental services company who can test for cold water issues like cryptosporidium - and if you wanted to be safe, there are also domestic UV water treatment systems you can buy (basically how they treat your drinking water)

I do like your idea tho :) - could make some fantastic beer with added smug factor :lol: !
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

WallyBrew
Hollow Legs

Post by WallyBrew » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:54 pm

Pick one from the list and contact them.

Preferably find one near you. Obtain from them suitable sampling bottles. Sample it and return immediately. Monday/Tuesday would be best days of return.

Whilst these all have UKAS accreditation there are some on there that used to ship stuff around the country by couriers so how they ever complied with the provisions of the "Blue Book" series on water examination I will never know but then I have always believed UKAS accreditation is just an enigma.

Jonathan Briggs

Post by Jonathan Briggs » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:13 pm

I tried this with Severn Trent (my local supplier) and they stated that I should contact my local environmental health, who I am awaiting a reply from.