Sparge water

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
lord.president
Hollow Legs

Sparge water

Post by lord.president » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:03 am

Hi all. I'm quite lucky (l think) that my tap water alkalinity is between 26 and 38. I use the calculator on here to add salts to the mash. However,l only treat the mash water. Is there any need to treat the sparge water too,other than campden? I've recently read that it should also be a ph of 6 or less,but not clear whether that is the actual water,or the grain bed being sparged?
It's been 25 years since l last sat in a chemistry lesson....

TIA
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Sparge water

Post by Jocky » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:57 am

You want the pH of the sparge water to be at 6 or lower to avoid extracting tannins from the grain that will make it astringent.

If you sparge with straight water the pH of the grain bed will gradually rise until this becomes a problem, so best to acidifybyour sparge water to avoid this.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:26 am

Calcium is also helpful and stops the pH of the run-off rising....this is why some people split their salt addition between the mash and sparge.

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:46 pm

Or use RO as it has no resistance to PH adjustment
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:52 pm

I put sufficient water in the HLT for both mash and sparge and treat the entire lot in one go.

James

john luc

Post by john luc » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:06 pm

Same here. I use RO water and fill HLT with all I need for the brew. I also use beersmith and in my profile I set up the water for my equipment as RO so when I choose a water profile from the water section it automatically calculates the salt additions for my Mash. PH is always bang on 5.2. 8)

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:21 pm

lord.president wrote:Hi all. I'm quite lucky (l think) that my tap water alkalinity is between 26 and 38. I use the calculator on here to add salts to the mash. However,l only treat the mash water. Is there any need to treat the sparge water too,other than campden?
At 26-38 you get away with it for standard bitters. The problem arises when you want to make a Stout or Porter, any darker beer really. For a Stout for example an alkalinity of circa 100-150 is a good starting point. The real nature of the problem is that it is actually a lot easier to reduce alkalinity than increase it. Take a look at this chart for some starting points.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:55 pm

john luc wrote:Same here. I use RO water and fill HLT with all I need for the brew. I also use beersmith and in my profile I set up the water for my equipment as RO so when I choose a water profile from the water section it automatically calculates the salt additions for my Mash. PH is always bang on 5.2. 8)
Which may or may not be optimum depending on the beer you are brewing . . . for me personally I think it's too low, and tend to target pH 5.4

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:28 am

orlando wrote:Take a look at this chart for some starting points.
I think that link has been attacked by the gremlins - it takes me to a reply & quote of the OP.
Kev

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:33 am

Kev888 wrote:
orlando wrote:Take a look at this chart for some starting points.
I think that link has been attacked by the gremlins - it takes me to a reply & quote of the OP.
Yes, I think it has. It does the same for me, unsurprisingly.

James

john luc

Post by john luc » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:05 am

lord.president wrote:Hi all. I'm quite lucky (l think) that my tap water alkalinity is between 26 and 38. I use the calculator on here to add salts to the mash. However,l only treat the mash water. Is there any need to treat the sparge water too,other than campden? I've recently read that it should also be a ph of 6 or less,but not clear whether that is the actual water,or the grain bed being sparged?
It's been 25 years since l last sat in a chemistry lesson....

TIA
Click the chart button and could not help pressing the submit button to see what would happen. Was hoping it would have brought me to a secret site :roll:

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:43 am

Don't know how that happened but have corrected it, try here.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Post by lord.president » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:07 pm

Cheers all.

Thought it was just me that was happening to!
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly