My Murphy's water report

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
demig
Hollow Legs

My Murphy's water report

Post by demig » Thu May 05, 2016 4:47 pm

Reverse osmosis, removes pretty much everything and just leaves you with H2O. Purifies it basically and then you can add salts to it to make you desired water profile

Bunglebrewsbeer
Hollow Legs

Re: My Murphy's water report

Post by Bunglebrewsbeer » Thu May 05, 2016 4:55 pm

How the heck do you do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Thu May 05, 2016 5:00 pm

bubblehead wrote:Does anybody know if WallyBrew is around at the moment?
I PM'd him a few days ago about water analysis and no reply as yet!
Yes, he's around.
Best wishes

Dave

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Thu May 05, 2016 5:01 pm

Bunglebrewsbeer wrote:How the heck do you do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It goes through a fine mesh filter which removes most of the solids. How much depends on how fine the filter is.
Best wishes

Dave

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Thu May 05, 2016 5:05 pm

Coffeeuk wrote:I'm starting to query the benefit of having your water tested, as it varies month by month depending on rainfall and which bore hole the water company is using. Meaning that as far as I can see the test is only valid for a short while.

I'm leaning towards installing an RO system and building water up from the blank slate it provides.
Well it's true that some people's water varies a lot. Mine on the other hand is quite stable year in, year out. A few people who do have variable water tend to get it tested frequently for a time to build up a profile.
Best wishes

Dave

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Thu May 05, 2016 6:02 pm

I had one lab test done, which was very much in line with water board reported averages. However, I have measured the alkalinity changing significantly enough to adapt my treatment. What I do, is assume that the calcium is always roughly 50% of the CaCO3 level, and take this into consideration. I don't make any enquiry into the sulphate/chloride levels, as I'm usually boosting those enough to negate the moderate starting levels in our water. Good enough for me for now, rather than a monthly lab test.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery