My Murphy's water report

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Troutman47
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

My Murphy's water report

Post by Troutman47 » Wed May 04, 2016 2:36 pm

Here's my water report from Murphy, the Alkalinity as CaCO3 is 6!
Is this a problem?
Do I need to do anything about it?

Cheers
TM
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last edited by Troutman47 on Wed May 04, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: My Murphy's water report

Post by vacant » Wed May 04, 2016 3:20 pm

Troutman47 wrote: Do I need to do anything about it?
Crop the image to remove your post code? :wink:
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Wed May 04, 2016 3:24 pm

Troutman47 wrote:Here's my water report from Murphy, the Alkalinity as CaCO3 is 6!
Is this a problem?
Do I need to do anything about it?
image.jpeg
Cheers
TM
I wouldn't necessarily take Murphy's result as gospel. A few people, including myself have had erroneous results from them. My one and only report from them reckoned my alkalinity was 165. It is actually 194 +/- a couple and has been over the 4 years I've been measuring it. If you want a (very) reliable report, PM Wallybrew. He's a chemist and a member here and will do you a comprehensive analysis at a reasonable price.

But in answer to your question, if it really is 6 then I'd say it's a bit low for most pale beers and definitely too low for darker beers. For the average English Pale Ale it should be between 20 and 40 or thereabouts. For Browns, Porter or Stouts it should be more like 70-150. You can raise it by adding Bicarbonate of soda, but I'd get a second opinion on what it is first. You'd also benefit from a Salifert alkalinity test kit which will enable you to measure it yourself.
Best wishes

Dave

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Wed May 04, 2016 3:39 pm

+1 for salifert testing. Mine matched wallybrew's analysis of the same sample within a point or two.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Wed May 04, 2016 3:39 pm

Great sparging liquor, but I would echo what Dave said and IMO you are going to have to treat the water for mashing; whatever the style of beer.

There is a lack of calcium, though this is easily solved by using gypsum or calcium chloride.
The alkalinity is very low....you can use chalk (difficult to dissolve unless you add directly to the mash) or bicarbonate of soda.

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Wed May 04, 2016 5:01 pm

Agree with Dave about Wallybrew's report. Even the strength of the acid I bought from Murphy's was wrong when I tested it myself.

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Wed May 04, 2016 5:10 pm

Who's suggestion was the sulphate/chloride target? For my tastes, 370 SO4 is too much, although I do know that some people like it. If you haven't already I would suggest that you also try a few brews with a less extreme mineral profile - especially since you have such amazing water to start with (amazing in the sense that there is virtually nothing in it, and you can adjust up to whatever you want).

+1 to Wallybrew and also doing a salifert test before every brew, just in case - although my water has been remarkably stable so far (230 +- 10 ppm alkalinity as CaCO3).

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Wed May 04, 2016 5:44 pm

That target liquor from Murphys is just like another I've seen provided for a micro and I guess is a fairly standard 'Burtonised' profile, though there is some debate about what that actually means: some Burton profiles go even higher with the minerals. Americans may call it a 'mineral bomb' for an APA for example, though I've had some very nice APAs that I know were made with that profile. That said, I kind of agree with Matt, in that if you've got such a low starting point, you may as well build it up over a few brews more gradually to your taste. With my 120ppm CACO3, I'm quickly on the high side of SO4 with CRS alone. Not a problem for you.

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Wed May 04, 2016 6:14 pm

MTW wrote:With my 120ppm CACO3, I'm quickly on the high side of SO4 with CRS alone.
If you haven't already, give lime-softening a try. Although I do use CRS/AMS sometimes, I usually use slaked lime and I can get my water down to 30ppm CaCO3 from 230ish without adding anything back. I've been varying my water profiles a lot lately have decided that I really do prefer a softer profile for the beers I brew (APAs, mostly).

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Wed May 04, 2016 6:27 pm

Matt in Birdham wrote:
MTW wrote:With my 120ppm CACO3, I'm quickly on the high side of SO4 with CRS alone.
If you haven't already, give lime-softening a try. Although I do use CRS/AMS sometimes, I usually use slaked lime and I can get my water down to 30ppm CaCO3 from 230ish without adding anything back. I've been varying my water profiles a lot lately have decided that I really do prefer a softer profile for the beers I brew (APAs, mostly).
Interesting, thanks Image Sorry for the thread-creep, OP, but hopefully of interest.

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Thu May 05, 2016 10:51 am

Dennis King wrote:Agree with Dave about Wallybrew's report. Even the strength of the acid I bought from Murphy's was wrong when I tested it myself.
Let's not go there again, Dennis :lol:
Best wishes

Dave

bubblehead

Post by bubblehead » Thu May 05, 2016 2:12 pm

Does anybody know if WallyBrew is around at the moment?
I PM'd him a few days ago about water analysis and no reply as yet!

Bunglebrewsbeer
Hollow Legs

Post by Bunglebrewsbeer » Thu May 05, 2016 3:55 pm

Think wallybrew might be a very busy boy soon!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Post by Coffeeuk » Thu May 05, 2016 4:12 pm

I'm starting to query the benefit of having your water tested, as it varies month by month depending on rainfall and which bore hole the water company is using. Meaning that as far as I can see the test is only valid for a short while.

I'm leaning towards installing an RO system and building water up from the blank slate it provides.

Bunglebrewsbeer
Hollow Legs

Post by Bunglebrewsbeer » Thu May 05, 2016 4:39 pm

What's an RO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk