How important is Total Alkalinity?

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
soupdragon
Under the Table

How important is Total Alkalinity?

Post by soupdragon » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:54 pm

Hi all

Just had my first go at using a Salifert kit.

The result came out at 39.5 after multiplying by 50. I'd already entered the info from United Utilities web site on Grahams calculator and noted the required additions for a dry pale ale. I then entered the total alkalinity figure from the test and the only change in the results on Grahams calculator was an increase in the calcium chloride addition from 6.37g to 7.01g, so.......
With the changes being (seemingly) so small, what major benefit is there to testing my own hardness? I know I'm probably missing something somewhere so please point me in the right direction.

Cheers Tom

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: How important is Total Alkalinity?

Post by Eric » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:37 pm

Have you read the notes? Particularly Note 1, then select CRS as the Carbonate Reduction Method.

Adjusting alkalinity to suit the grains mashed is a vital step of water treatment. However, alkalinity at the level you have found is not radically different to what you might need although you may wll find it changes day to day.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:28 pm

Ah, right. So just because I have soft water doesn't mean I won't need to reduce the level of carbonates? Still learning after all these years. Like they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing #-o
Something to add on my next order I think. Is there a preferred brand or is CRS just CRS?

Cheers Tom

BenB

Post by BenB » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:59 pm

CRS is CRS. = rebranded murphys AMS (only available in bulk). Doubt you'll need much alkalinity reduction though- if anything might need some bicarb for darker beers...

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:24 am

Going by the amount specified on the calculator a 250ml bottle should last me about 100 brews :)

Cheers. Tom