Chalk/calcium carbonate

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Jocky
Even further under the Table

Chalk/calcium carbonate

Post by Jocky » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:26 pm

Is there any difference between types of calcium carbonate or chalk for brewing purposes?

Want to do a slaked lime treatment of water for carbonate reduction, and I have seen that a little bit of chalk helps.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Dave S

Re: Chalk/calcium carbonate

Post by Dave S » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:21 pm

Jocky wrote:Is there any difference between types of calcium carbonate or chalk for brewing purposes?

Want to do a slaked lime treatment of water for carbonate reduction, and I have seen that a little bit of chalk helps.
Chalk, or Calcium Carbonate will increase alkalinity. It is also very insoluble.
Best wishes

Dave

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:18 pm

Not if you use a small amount in conjunction with slaked lime treatment:
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... laked_lime

Anyway, any difference between precipitated chalk in a brewing shop and calcium carbonate I can buy on eBay?
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

millmaster

Post by millmaster » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:54 pm

As long as the stuff you can get on e:bay is food or pharmaceutical grade, then no difference, except perhaps particle size ?

If I recall, Kai uses the chalk in the slaked lime process as a source for the precipitate to nucleate on, smaller particle size might be better for that.