Salifert KH + Alkalinity Profi-Test Kit

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
timtoos
Piss Artist

Re: Salifert KH + Alkalinity Profi-Test Kit

Post by timtoos » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:28 pm

Would this be accurate enough to do the job:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mudder-Digital ... =tds+meter

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:56 pm

timtoos wrote:Would this be accurate enough to do the job:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mudder-Digital ... =tds+meter
Accurate? No. Do the job? Yes.

They are said to come calibrated for saline solutions, but your water will only be saline in part. The two I have are adjustable by a trimmer accessed via a hole in the rear of the casing. It was found possible to recalibrate one to WallyBrews findings in a sample of the same water I kept for this purpose. Accordingly I was able to take a TDS measurement in a few seconds this morning and then quickly interpolate between tests he did to determine the content of all major ions including alkalinity in my water.

Even if that version isn't adjustable it will quickly advise if your water has changed by whatever reading it gives.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

timtoos
Piss Artist

Post by timtoos » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:36 am

Or would I be better spending more money on something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HM-Digital-COM ... =tds+meter

PS, Thanks for all the advice I am getting...

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:57 am

The cheap one proved suitable for my purpose, so much so that I bought a spare. A sample of one water tested by WallyBrew is kept safely should it be thought necessary to recalibrate an instruments.
I suppose using electrical conductivity would be more logical, but using the summation of all major ions for brewing fits comfortably for this purpose.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

timtoos
Piss Artist

Post by timtoos » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:32 pm

Hi guys,
Just an update to my water analysis. Ive just tested my water with the Calcium test kit. Low and behold its low.

So far the water is:

Ca = 20ppm
kH = 0.1meq/l (5 CaCO3)
TDS = 49 ppm
pH = 5.2

I have mailed WallyBrew for a water test but this can't be done for a few weeks. Will be good to get the full water results from him.

What do you think to the water - as per brewing liquor it seems pretty useless.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:32 am

It's very similar to my water,and my beers are not bad. It does require treating. I use calcium chloride and gypsum to take the calcium level up to 75 to 100 ppm aiming for a sulphate to chloride ratio of 2.5 to 1 (hoppy) to 1 to 2.5 (malty) . . . Dark beers I add potassium bicarbonate to take the alkalinity up to a maximum of 125.