What alkilinty to aim for?

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
mbrew
Steady Drinker

What alkilinty to aim for?

Post by mbrew » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi,

Where can I find out what alkalinity I should be aiming for with a particular beer style or colour? I've been playing around with Grahams calculator which I find very useful but although it gives a guide on how much AMS to add I have no idea what I should be aiming for. Is this the residual alkalinity in the top row that always stays on 20?

For example I'm about to brew with 4kg of pale & 250g of crystal 150, what alkalinity would be a good place to start before testing the mash PH?

Thanks

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: What alkilinty to aim for?

Post by jaroporter » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:28 pm

either check out the water treatment pages on this forum, or any internet search engine will throw up a load of results - alemans guide on the craftbrewing forum especially. that'll get you in the ballpark, any more exact will involve a pH meter and trial and error as you brew.
dazzled, doused in gin..

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:45 pm

Alkalinity & Calcium for various styles towards the bottom on this page.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

mbrew
Steady Drinker

Post by mbrew » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:10 pm

jaroporter wrote:either check out the water treatment pages on this forum, or any internet search engine will throw up a load of results - alemans guide on the craftbrewing forum especially. that'll get you in the ballpark, any more exact will involve a pH meter and trial and error as you brew.
Google is telling me not to visit that forum as it could damage my computer!

I've read the one on here but wondered if there was a calculator or something more specific.

mbrew
Steady Drinker

Post by mbrew » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:14 pm

vacant wrote:Alkalinity & Calcium for various styles towards the bottom on this page.
Seems quite a lot of difference to what's been said in the water treatment page on here.