Burton water profile

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
chris2012
Under the Table

Burton water profile

Post by chris2012 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:27 pm

I'm getting my water tested soon :) I'm just wondering, if I wanted to create a bitter, using burton style water, I notice:

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/water.html gives:

130 ppm for Ca

But:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/water-chemistry/ gives: (with the historic option)

270 ppm for Ca

That seems quite a big difference? Although I've never treated my water before, so could be misunderstanding something.

I do notice the historic decarbonated option gives 180ppm though. I'm not sure what that really means though.

I'm inclined to go with Graham's calculator values, but I'm just wondering what the difference is due to.

I think I'm going to have to buy the Water book soon!

Edit: Just found this:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/brewing-w ... -profiles/

"Burton on Trent is known for water with very high sulfate content. This profile has been constructed from a water analysis of Burton well water published in “Burton-on-Trent, Its History, Its Waters and Its Breweries” from 1869."

AnthonyUK

Re: Burton water profile

Post by AnthonyUK » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:12 am

I'm not a fan of looking at regional water profiles as unless you know what the brewery actually did then it is pointless.

The very basics:
Treat for chlorine/chloramine - 1/4 Campden tab will suffice
Measure alkalinity and adjust for correct mash pH
Have enough Calcium for healthy yeast
Adjust Sulphate:Chloride ratio to style or taste.

Read the water book first or at least some of the previous Water threads here on Jim's as it is important to have a basic grasp before jumping in :wink:

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:40 am

Have you read the water treatment notes here: http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/water_treatment.htm ?

It's good advice.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:15 am

Cheers guys, will have a look over that link first, then think about getting the Water book.

And that's a good point about knowing what the brewery did.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:51 pm

chris2012 wrote:Cheers guys, will have a look over that link first, then think about getting the Water book.

And that's a good point about knowing what the brewery did.
Honestly I think that the water book provides a lot of information that is largely redundant for a home brewer.

While water chemistry is more involved than a lot of the other parts of brewing as there's no turn key guide to treat any form of water, the bits that actually make a difference are easy enough once understood, but you will need a good understanding of what is in your water first.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:01 pm

That's interesting re. the water book, I might hold off on getting that for a bit.

Peterzer

Burton water profile

Post by Peterzer » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:49 pm

Im diving into the world of water chemistry & need some help. Looking to brew an ESB & trying to get close to Burton on Trent water profile from Lincoln city water.

I usually let the water sit overnight & use campden tablets, sometimes add a teaspoon or two Gypsum to the mash. Thats about as far as Ive gone with water chemistry.

Burton on Trent water profile has tons of sulfates & getting close to that with Lincoln water Palmers RA work sheet has me adding 24 grams Gypsum & 2 grams Epsom salts to 6 gallons of mash water.

Any thoughts?