Imperial Stout Water Profile

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
tuffty22

Imperial Stout Water Profile

Post by tuffty22 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:59 pm

Hi all

My favourite water treatment calculator has dissapeared from the homebrewforum uk site. This calc worked really well for me, I punched in my profile from wallybrew and selected the type of beer I was brewing and it spat out the additions, how much and when to add them.

I have tried to use this sites one but I dont have my carbonate number to put into the calc. Is there a way of calculating this from my other data ?

Below is my profile
Sodium 4.0
Magnesium 2.4
Calcium 16.7
Chloride 5.5
Sulphate 24.5
Alkalinity CaCO3 25
pH 7.3

Total water used is 39.17l, mash water is 23.7l

Any suggestions on additions for this brew or other straight forward calculators. The others I have tried seem overly complicated.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Re: Imperial Stout Water Profile

Post by Hanglow » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:24 am

There is Grahams one here http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/water.html which is the simplest one I know of

You can put your Alkalinity as CaCo3 into the top left and you'll get an automatic carbonate value ( I just tried it and it cam up with 14.99)

This is the spreadsheet I use, although it's a bit annoying as it mixes US gallons and grams/ml etc, but I find it easier to use and more aesthetically pleasing than say brunwater .It allows you to input your mash which is quite important
http://homebrewingphysics.blogspot.co.u ... water.html

You'll need to add some alkalinity to your mash water I imagine, but won't need to change it for the sparges as you have low alkalinity

tuffty22

Post by tuffty22 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:57 pm

Thanks Hanglow

Ill give this sites one another go and have a look at the other one.

Previously I have made additions to the mash and then the rest have gone into the kettle post sparge. This calc doesnt seem to do that and just gives you a total weight of additions.

Any suggestions on what additions should be going in post sparge ?

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:19 pm

It's up to you but IMO you should be aiming for around 150 ppm of Calcium in the Mash. If you can get to that short of dumping it all in the Mash then reserve the rest for the boil.
Best wishes

Dave

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:09 pm

Your sulphate:chloride ratio is biased the wrong way too. If you follow Dave's advice (adding calcium chloride) you should see that turned round.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

tuffty22

Post by tuffty22 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:46 pm

Cheers guys