do campden tablets go off?

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
gr_baker
Piss Artist

do campden tablets go off?

Post by gr_baker » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:04 pm

I've been rooting around in my brewing supply box and I've found some Campden tablets from 2012 and others from 2008. Is there any chance they'll still be any good for taking chlorine out of brewing liquor?

I realise that I'm being cheap and some new ones aren't expensive.

R

sonicated
Hollow Legs

Re: do campden tablets go off?

Post by sonicated » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:38 pm

They do degrade over time, I would get some more.

Carnot
Piss Artist

Post by Carnot » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:39 pm

If they have been kept in an airtight container and are not crumbling then they should be alright. They are sodium metabisulphite which will only react slowly with air in a humid environment. Even if they are a bit rough around the edges they will probably be alright. They are normally bound with a microcrystalline cellulose which will slowly degrade, usually faster than the metabisulphite.

wezzel01
Piss Artist

Post by wezzel01 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:34 pm

All my acids, salts and chemicals are miles past their sell by date. Some come in such large quantities compared to the tiny doses I use that I would be throwing away almost full containers if I stuck to use-by dates.

Never noticed a problem though. Either I’ve got crap taste buds or I’m just lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk