Question for the oat stout experts

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
Digby Swift

Question for the oat stout experts

Post by Digby Swift » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:41 pm

I am planning an oatmeal stout as per vossys recipe. I am however confused as to the type of oats to use after reading a load of the posts on here. I have a bag of tesco value porridge oats, will these be ok? I am planning on roasting them in the oven for about an hour before I use them.

The recipe has 9.5 oz (270g) of oats in, should I bother with the 30C 'mash' before adding to the mash tun?

Thanks

sib67

Re: Question for the oat stout experts

Post by sib67 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:06 pm

Those oats will be fine. I don't bother with the 30C mash, and have not had any major problems during sparging.

I have made this using Vossey's recipe several times now, and it always goes down very well :)

Digby Swift

Post by Digby Swift » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:22 pm

Thanks, I'll go for it then. Have you any thoughts on the peak maturation times?

sib67

Post by sib67 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:20 am

Digby Swift wrote:Thanks, I'll go for it then. Have you any thoughts on the peak maturation times?
I force carbonate most of my beer in Cornies, and the Oatmeal Stout is always very nice after ony 2 weeks in the keg. To be honest, I often start taking 'samples' from the day I keg, and it's pretty good after 1 week. I have got a mini Cornie with some of this in which is 4 months old, and it is very nice, but so was the stuff I was drinking 3 months ago.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:07 am

Any oats are fine, don't stress about it, just bake them in the oven and chuck 'em in the mash.

Digby Swift

Post by Digby Swift » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:49 pm

mysterio wrote:Any oats are fine, don't stress about it, just bake them in the oven and chuck 'em in the mash.
I like your attitude. I'll give it a test at the weekend

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:31 pm

what temperature do you bake them at for an hour? :)

Digby Swift

Post by Digby Swift » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:11 pm

I went for 150C turning every 15 minutes. They're now golden. Can't say they really taste that different though.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:33 pm

They should smell great though, don't they ? The aroma/flavour definately comes through in the finished beer (Vossy's oatmeal stout)

Digby Swift

Post by Digby Swift » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:01 pm

Yeah they definatly smell nice. They're a nice golden colour. I will let you know how it turns out.