Tetley bitter clone.........

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
yashicamat
Under the Table

Re: Tetley bitter clone.........

Post by yashicamat » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:26 pm

adeybambam wrote:Invalid Stout - I've also been told the autovac system is illegal , but I know a few pubs round here that have it, plus at least one is also cask mark certified. Anyone else know the legal position?
I don't know the legal position, but I cannot believe that the autovac system is allowed to be used under any circumstances these days. Cask Marque is a bit of a joke IMHO, I've been in plenty of appalling pubs with their plaque on the outside. :roll:
Rob

POTTER BREWERY (mothballed 2020)

Fermenting: nowt (sadly). Drinking: still a few bottles of my imperial stout knocking about . . . it's rather good now

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:52 pm

Maybe John Smiths is a bit simple and characterless and not to everyone's taste, but it does have quite a strong and distinctive flavour.

Many years ago, I entered an informal homebrew competition where the competitors judged the beer by blind tasting (and these were serious beer drinkers who knew what they liked). Anyway, one guy whose brew hadn't turned out so well substituted some John Smiths bitter as a joke. The tragedy was - it won! :shock: Even once we'd been told, we still couldn't believe it was John Smiths - but it was.

Well, at least he owned up, so we could pick a true winner. It wasn't that the other beers were bad. It's just that when you've tasted loads of different beers your palette can get a bit tired. Something with a relatively simple but strong taste - like John Smiths - then stands out from the crowd. Sometimes I've noticed this effect at beerfests too - the prize ale isn't necessarily one you'd want to drink at home, but it has that edge that lets it cut through the crowd and stand out.

I don't think that'd work with Tetleys, mind. The week-old wet flannel taste would surely mark it out.

kevthebootboy

Post by kevthebootboy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:55 pm

ok ok ..honesty time, John Smiths used to be my favour beer im my teens befor i started drinking real ale, and i still dont mind drinking it if theres nothing else (to be honest ill drink anything if i want to get smashed ) i dont think its a bad tasting beer, just as i say, i find it abit bland tasting, and i would waste my time trying to brew it :wink:

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:00 am

Yes, if I go to a BBQ and there's a choice between tinned beer and tinned beer, I'll usually pick the John Smiths. At least it's not lager.

adeybambam

Post by adeybambam » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:40 am

Dr Dextrin's example raises a valid point - familiarity breeds contempt. If we had all been faced with years of any beer, with it invariably being served terribly, we would probably all turn away from it and favour lesser known brews over what we had been used to. Now I accept that Tetleys and John Smiths are middle of the road brews designed to be inoffensive and I'm not suggesting they are any better (or worse) than the local micro brewery, but it is easy to become sniffy about such beers. If served properly and without any pre-conceptions, it would be very interesting to see how a whole range of "lesser" beers would fair in a blind tasting. One of the joys of being into beer is not having the snobbery that goes with, for example, wine. Each to their own.

adeybambam

Post by adeybambam » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:35 am

Fair point. I can't actually believe I am defending Tetley's (!) but my support stretches no further than the casked ale, served in the Yorkshire way, wih the use of the Autovac system preferably. My local serves Tetley's cask, TT Landlord and Black Sheep in that way. I drink the Landlord, but the Tetley's doesn't embarass itself in that company. I agree though that 99% of the Tetley's available is kegged nitrogen rubbish.

kevthebootboy

Post by kevthebootboy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:19 pm

Bopper wrote:Never mind!!!!!!! I shall never post on this forum again! Cant even get a sensible answer! You cant bogde brew.......maybe this, maybe that! Why post ??????? everyone knows they use: Northdown ....Nuthin more to say! :arrow: EXIT

PS: I would hate to taste your brew!
I tell you what Bopper, im glad you have done one, you ungreatful little sh!t, this forum in full to the brim with top blokes willing to give up there time to help people out,time wasted on idiots like you,you post up on here asking about a sh!t beer and wonder why someone takes the p!ss out of you,then have the gall to question his brewing "i would hate to taste your brew" yeah well at least he isnt brewing tetleys and f"cking up a london pride recipe.
get off your f"cking high horse and pIss off.

(sorry gents )

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:05 am

I remember having this as a cask ale and it was ok, but then again that was a fair while back when I was just getting into proper beer so maybe I'm viewing it through rose tinted glasses. I would pass on the tinned stuff though.
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:20 am

As he's unlikely to vist anymore does anyone else think Bopper's avatar looks a bit like the young Fred West? :-k

No offence intended Bopper BTW just an observation.
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:58 am

TC2642 wrote:As he's unlikely to vist anymore does anyone else think Bopper's avatar looks a bit like the young Fred West? :-k

No offence intended Bopper BTW just an observation.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Big time!