TANGLEFOOT Recipe:- Question

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Deebee
Even further under the Table

Re: TANGLEFOOT Recipe:- Question

Post by Deebee » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:25 am

Hi again.

Thanks to everyone for the mass of information.

It would however appear that we have no challenger at the moment.

So the next question is:- What can i use as an alternative to the challenger along with the northdown hops.

I understand that it will change the taste and character of the beer but it might make a nice drink anyway.

Being so green and only having brewed once i have only experience with target and fuggles. What is the general accepted alternative to challenger?

Thanks
Dave
Running for Childrens cancer in the Windsor Half marathon.
Please consider helping a good cause:)

Parva

Post by Parva » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:49 am

There isn't a direct replacement for Challenger as such. What do you have in stock? You could also consider a single hop beer such as all Fuggles, this gives you the advantage of knowing exactly what characteristics each individual hop will add to your beer.

Deebee

Post by Deebee » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:01 am

I have cascade, fuggles, Goldinges ( east kent) target, northdown for sure. Not sure on the rest.

Seing this is a single grain brew i was hoping to keep it close to the recipe. I was thinking of adding maybe 30 grams of chocolate or dark malt for the colour though

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

farmhousekeg

Post by farmhousekeg » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:59 am

Parva wrote:There isn't a direct replacement for Challenger as such. What do you have in stock? You could also consider a single hop beer such as all Fuggles, this gives you the advantage of knowing exactly what characteristics each individual hop will add to your beer.
I think Barley Bottom sell Boadicea as a "Challenger replacement"? To be honest I am not experienced enough myself to say if it really is a replacement or not. No doubt someone on here will clarify this. :boff:

Deebee

Post by Deebee » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:47 am

Hi again.
Last question on this before brew day.
The recipe is for 23 l brew. I would like 25
at the moment it requires 3510 grams malt. Can someone please tell me how much to increase by to get the right amount for 25. It surely is not that much?
Dave

Deebee

Post by Deebee » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:49 am

KeithinSB wrote:I have been looking all over for the recipe for Tanglefoot real ale. Have you got a copy of the recipe you could post?
Look in the sticky. Norms real ale almenac.

you'll find it there. Or go into the recipe forum and search it up. It is there.
Dave

coatesg

Post by coatesg » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:11 pm

farmhousekeg wrote:I think Barley Bottom sell Boadicea as a "Challenger replacement"? To be honest I am not experienced enough myself to say if it really is a replacement or not.
Challenger is a much nicer hop IMHO, but they aren't a million miles apart. If you're using it for bittering, there may not be much difference in the result.