Ansells Mild

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Lee B

Ansells Mild

Post by Lee B » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:43 am

Morning Gents,
Has anyone got a recipe for Ansells Mild? Fancied having a bash at it this weekend. Also, what sort of proportions should I use flaked barley in? Thought this might go well in a mild. All comments much appreciated.

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Re: Ansells Mild

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:45 pm

A very poor excuse for a mild IMO (as was M&B's mild). You'd be better off brewing Highgate Mild which is in GWs book as are Holden's and Banks's (the Banks's is called Original and has been wrongly placed in with the bitters).
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:49 pm

I used to enjoy ansels bitter, be nice to find a recipe for that too.

steve

Lee B

Post by Lee B » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Ta for the response. Agree with you on the M&B mild OSB, but the Ansells was great when served in good nick. Not keen on recipes with white sugar in, so may try one of the others in BYOBRAm

Philipek

Post by Philipek » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:52 am

If you want a mild without added sugar but can't find a recipe for Ansell's, you might want to try this one that I found on another forum.

a mild recipe

I tried this one because the recipe was so simple: no terrified or horrified wheat or any of that stuff and just fuggles. It turned out very very well.

Lee B

Post by Lee B » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:31 pm

Cheers Philipek. Looks like a good first mild to attempt.

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:20 pm

Philipek wrote:If you want a mild without added sugar but can't find a recipe for Ansell's, you might want to try this one that I found on another forum.

a mild recipe

I tried this one because the recipe was so simple: no terrified or horrified wheat or any of that stuff and just fuggles. It turned out very very well.
The mind boggles that anyone would use Nottingham for a mild.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

Philipek

Post by Philipek » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:32 pm

I used SO4. Is that better? What yeast would you recommend, OSB?

I really liked the recipe because it was really simple and I am lazy and didn't fancy going out and buying loads of ingredients. The fact that it didn't have sugar suited me too because we have rarely have sugar in the house. At the time I tried the recipe, I was even more ignorant and untrained in the arts of brewing than I am now, but even so was a bit sceptical about the use of Nottingham. I didn't fancy an hour round trip to the LHBS so went with my sachet of SO4 anyway.

That recipe also got rave reviews. Mind you, most if not all of the reviewers were American and Canadian. You cannot get mild out here in Canada and I doubt, even with the wild and wonderful profusion of beers that the US craft breweries are putting out, you could get a mild in the US. I really liked the recipe and have always professed to love mild, but I'm originally from London, and I don't think I've ever seen mild on draught ever, and rarely saw it in the supermarkets. I think Morrisons down our way used to sell two, can't remember their names.

Anyway, I took up brewing with the intention of brewing lots of mild. On your recommendation, OSB, I think I'm going to go with Holden's (I'd do Highgate, but that would mean hop shopping).

OT
Also, thanks to OSB for the advice on phenolics produced due to trub from the kettle getting in the fermenter.

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:57 pm

I get very good results with S-04 and I'm sure that it would work well with that recipe. You don't want a highly attenuating yeast like Nottingham in a mild. Windsor would be the other one to try. I've got a couple of packets in the freezer and at some point I'm going to use it in a Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby although some people have experienced trouble in getting it to clear which had resulted in it languishing at the end of my to-do list. S-04 is reliable and will give you good results.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger