Fly or batch sparge?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)

Which do you prefer?

Fly
29%
Batch
71%

Total votes: 65

bigdave

Fly or batch sparge?

Post by bigdave » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:48 pm

As the title suggests really. I'm deliberating over which method I'm going to try and as I know very little about the pro's and con's of the different methods, I thought I'd throw it open to more experienced brewers/people who know what theyre on about.

dave-o

Re: Fly or batch sparge?

Post by dave-o » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:53 pm

For me, batch. It's simple and it works.

boingy

Post by boingy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:13 pm

I voted batch, even though I fly sparge!
I much prefer batch but the reason I fly sparge is that my MT is a tad small for batch sparging since I stepped up to an 8 gallon brew length. I can barely fit the grain and mash water in, never mind the sparge water so I would typically need to do 4 batches. One of these days I will get round to building a bigger MT...

bigdave

Post by bigdave » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:24 pm

How much more space do you need for batch? The cool box Ive just got my hands on is only 21Ltr, am I right in thinking that's just not going to be big enough for a 5gal?

I'm worried now! Am I going to need a bigger mash tun full stop!?! :shock:

a-slayer
Hollow Legs

Post by a-slayer » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:41 pm

Batch sparging for me, bought a 49 litre igloo marine cool box of Ebay. Doddle to convert Just change the drain plug to a tap,fairly cheap and works well. Far easier than fly sparging which I did for many years.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:13 pm

bigdave wrote:How much more space do you need for batch? The cool box Ive just got my hands on is only 21Ltr, am I right in thinking that's just not going to be big enough for a 5gal?

As a rough guide and depending on the dead space you have, for 5kgs of grain at 3l/kg mash ratio you'll need a bit over 18l volume. The top up for the first batch would be nearly 6l. So a 24l tun would just about suffice for a 2 equal batch sparge.

In your 21l tun 3.5kg would need about 13l volume and a top up of 8l. That would be your max for a 2 equal batch sparge..

As you can see 30l is about the minimum tun size required if you want to do a variety of beer strengths and a bit more if big beers are your thing.

I've done both and a a mixture of them and prefer batch sparging. There's plenty written on the pros and cons so do a search :wink:

boingy

Post by boingy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:23 pm

Dave, I think you will probably get away with your 21 litre MT if you use a lower water/grain ratio (say 2.5 litres per kilo of grain) and don't try to make monster strength stuff. It's no problem to do a third batch sparge if necessary except it obviously takes a bit longer.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:38 pm

Nah, you've still got to get the pre boil volume through the tun in 2 equal batches, lower the ratio of water/grain and you raise the amount of top up required.

In the 21l tun example I gave a 2.5 ratio would require still take up all 21l of the tun

You are of course right about the 3-4 batch option.

naffolddog

Post by naffolddog » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:24 pm

I prefer batch sparging - it's straightforward - it works - why complicate things? :)

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:29 pm

Try both, see what works best for you and your system.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:21 pm

bigdave wrote:How much more space do you need for batch? The cool box Ive just got my hands on is only 21Ltr, am I right in thinking that's just not going to be big enough for a 5gal?

Don't forget that the manufacturers of these cool boxes usually include the lid volume in their specifications, so you could be losing 2 or 3 litres there. I have one, which is whatever the standard cheapy is from Asda, I think 23l ? Anyway by the time you take into account the losses I usually have to top up the boil or end up with about 19l brews. Get bigger than you need if replacing it. That way you can do larger or stronger/stronger brews.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

bigdave

Post by bigdave » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:49 pm

I think Im sacking off the 21ltr cool box (well, not sacking off but not converting) and will look for a cheap alternative. mrs bigdave really is gunna hate me!

Capped
Under the Table

Post by Capped » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:43 am

Fly,fly!! If I ever try batch sparging again and it results in the same fiasco as previous attempts,I swear I'll throw the MT,grains and all,out the freakin window. My main prroblem is finding it impossible to get a clear run-off,even if I recirculate 20 times (been there,done that etc). With fly,it's clear after 2 or 3 litres,then plain sailing from there on in. Nah,batch just ain't for me.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:24 am

Why the obsession with clear run off?

I don't think anyone has explained how a clear run off from the tun improves the finished beer, or why not having a clear run off is detrimental.

gunner

Post by gunner » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:39 am

Batch sparge,igloo 49L maxi cold box,less hassle,really does keep ice frozen for 5 days,0.5c drop over 90min mash,drain plug,easy to convert,and doubles up as a excellent cool box on weekends/festivals camping in my VW.