Immersion element

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
PEACOCKSUIT

Re: Immersion element

Post by PEACOCKSUIT » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:35 pm

Is it just a case of buying heat rated flex and a 13a plug for the supply?

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:40 pm

Thats what I did. My complete shopping list was as follows:

mechanical flange
Immersion heater that would fit through the mechanical flange (tried some for size in a local plumbing merchants)
1.5mm square heat resistant cable
A good quality 13a plug
a Ceramic connector block (thats the type I wanted anyway - i ended up cutting down a bigger one because the 1-ways were out of stock)

I already had a good quality wall socket, and you may not need the connector block if your thermostat happens to have a big enough hole to join the two wires instead.

EDIT: here's a pic of my connector block fitted:

Cheers
Kev
Kev

PEACOCKSUIT

Post by PEACOCKSUIT » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Cheers for that, will be real helpful when I put it together.

The element I'm looking at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/11-Immersion-Heat ... _500wt_902

is
Suitable For Side Immersion Fitments at 2 1/4' bsp

So this element should be OK to use with the flange you suggested afaik......

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:57 pm

PEACOCKSUIT wrote:The element I'm looking at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/11-Immersion-Heat ... _500wt_902 is
Suitable For Side Immersion Fitments at 2 1/4' bsp
. So this element should be OK to use with the flange you suggested afaik......
Hi,

its the right sort of thing. But the reason I tried them down at the local plumbers was because I discovered some elements didn't quite fit through the flange - they had the right screw thread, but the width of the loop (in the heating bit) was quite large. I think its because the more common solder-in flanges allow about 62mm diameter things to pass through them, whereas the mechanical flange has more like a 57mm hole in it. It's not possible to tell from the ebay description how wide that one is, unfortunately.

Cheers,
Kev
Kev

beermonsta

Post by beermonsta » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:44 pm

forgot one more important safety point, not sure if it was mentioned earlier but do not test it dry. Ensure the whole element is covered with liqour first, and don't let it boil dry either. Oh and when you install the element ensure it's the correct way up (the cable should exit at the lowest point - this way any spilt liqour can't run down the cable back into the electrics of the element. Remember too that liqour below the element will not heat much as only the water above the element will heat and rise - so if you want an even temperature reading give it a quick stirr first (if you get to a rolling boil the agitation will eventually do this for you)

PEACOCKSUIT

Post by PEACOCKSUIT » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:11 am

Cheers.

I will order the bits on Tuesday. *Is there a element and flange combo that is tried and tested with regards to fittings and sizes? I know the ones the heating element ones sell seem popular....

*reason for this is that my local plumbers merchants it waiting for stock of immersion elements so I want to just order off the internet.