Leyland homebrew

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
steveo1987

Leyland homebrew

Post by steveo1987 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:39 pm

Does anyone know about the 22.5 ltr craft all grain kit that Leyland sell for £229.99.any info would be useful,quality,reliability.sturdiness etc.
Thanks
Steve

boingy

Re: Leyland homebrew

Post by boingy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:52 pm

We've discussed it a little bit here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32974&p=354865

There were a couple of concerns. Namely that the mash tun is uninsulated (which basically makes it a bucket) and the meagre 1kW element in the HLT will take ages to heat the water.

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:57 pm

I have bought quite a lot of my kit from Hampstead brewing, it is all fairly solid and has decent immersion heaters in. 2.4kW in the HLT and 3kW in the boiler.

Have a look herehttp://www.hamstead-brewing-centre.co.uk/itmidx55.htm.

I have their Boiler, HLT and sparging arm which are all great, and would happily recommend them. It's 30L as well which I think you will find more practical.

Their full kit is £299.00 with insulated Mash Tun, which if you are starting with nothing, and like me don't want to build it yourself is a reasonable buy I think.

You could always buy the essential bits now and add extra bits later if money is tight. I bought my boiler first and did extract brews for a while until I stepped up to AG.

steveo1987

Post by steveo1987 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:19 pm

Thanks for the advice people.I think I've made up my mind

Fred

Post by Fred » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:24 pm

Hi Steveo
Just seen your posting. I bought the Leyland system about six months ago and have been delighted with it. Stainless steel false bottom, stainless steel hop strainer, stainless steel element in the boiler and all vessels are 30 litre in capacity. A complete system and great value for money in my opinion! Good luck. Fred. :D

steveo1987

Post by steveo1987 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:17 am

Cheers Fred,is the element man enough? How long does it take to get up to boil? Cheers