HELP! My Wort smells like eggy farts

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
wushurichard

HELP! My Wort smells like eggy farts

Post by wushurichard » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:25 pm

Just opened my wort to take a hydrometer reading, there is a little bit of crap on top of it but not too much, but a very slight eggy smelly to it, like very slight..
will this go in the 2nd fermentation? or did i mess up?

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Re: HELP! My Wort smells like eggy farts

Post by trucker5774 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:37 pm

Welcome to homebrewing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't worry it's as common as chlamydia, but it will go away :wink:
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

wushurichard

Post by wushurichard » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:40 pm

great stuff thankss a lot.

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:45 pm

Both the "bit of crap on top" and the "slight eggy smelly" are likely to be normal functions of the yeast fermenting your beer, however since you have provided no other information - especially in regard to what yeast you are using or what beer your are brewing, its not really possible to say much more.

wushurichard

Post by wushurichard » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:14 pm

Wolfy wrote:Both the "bit of crap on top" and the "slight eggy smelly" are likely to be normal functions of the yeast fermenting your beer, however since you have provided no other information - especially in regard to what yeast you are using or what beer your are brewing, its not really possible to say much more.

Brewing a coopers irish stout using the yeast that came with it

Is that any help?

mickhew

Post by mickhew » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:40 pm

This is o.k. I've done a Coopers stout, and the Coopers Bitter over the last 2 weeks. Both had the egg smell, both turned out lovely. I wonder if Coopers have changed the yeast, as they never normally smell like that, only the euro lager, which has the lager yeast.