Bairds malt. Low extract

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
alfie09

Re: Bairds malt. Low extract

Post by alfie09 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:34 pm

i used my bag milled a few weeks ago and its shit. 56% effiency. i used enough grain for a 7% ipa and i only got a 1053 gravity beer. never ever buying this crap again.. my first bag i bought was awesome i was getting well above 80% effiency then down towards the bottom of the bag it took a dip (to be expected). so i took a gamble and bought another and its even worse. nightmare indeed..

had enough now! and still no reply saying what is up with the grain

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:20 pm

I've just ordered another sack of Bairds from Worcester Hop Shop. First brew should be Thursday next week.

As well as poor extract I've also had problems with the run off after the boil.

If this new sack's no better then I'll be looking for recommendations as to where to buy my malt from.

Fingers crossed, though, the new sack will do the business.

Guy

alfie09

Post by alfie09 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:37 pm

yes clogging up and it is always cloudy when running off from the mash tun and it never clears i run off loads last time and recirculated and it never cleared. its ok when its turned into alcohol though so its not all bad lol

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:44 pm

Chat from Brewery Consultant David Smith is that this next 12 months worth of malt (starting about now) will be high in nitrogen and could quite possibly cause hazy beers for a lot of brewers.