Ginger IPA

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Greendan

Ginger IPA

Post by Greendan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:07 am

I'm thinking about what to brew for me next round, and at the moment I'm really into beers with a ginger element.
So I thought I would try to Ginger up a Coopers IPA kit.

The only problem...I've no idea how to do that. I assume one of the following approaches:
1)Steep some root ginger and add to the wort (can only steep in about 4 litres of liquid as that's my biggest saucepan!)
2) Add some ground ginger to the wort
3) Add ground ginger to the FV
4) Add ground ginger to the barrel.

Has anyone attempted this before? Can anyone offer any pointers? I'm aiming for a hint of Ginger, not a bite.

Tramorak
Piss Artist

Re: Ginger IPA

Post by Tramorak » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:20 am

I have done 2 ginger kit adaptations and neither of them was that great. I used a Coopers kit for one and a geordie for the other (Can't say which kits as I used I am not at my computer).

For one I made a ginger hop tea to add to the wort. (About 5l). Taste was there but either the hops and ginger worked against each other or there wasn't enough of them.

The other I "Dry Hopped" with ginger in secondary and I went way too far. Was drinkable after 3/4 months in the bottle, but the first mouthfull still made you gasp.

Both times I used root ginger, peeled and chopped. Take care with it as a little can go a long way.

Would love to find a kit adaptation that tasted similar to Ginger Marble.

T.

BazC

Re: Ginger IPA

Post by BazC » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:35 am

I think I'd try stem ginger in syrup, maybe mince it and steep it hot water along with the syrup in the jar? Then add the resulting infusion to the FV. It's not as harsh as root ginger or ground ginger and has more depth of flavour.