Shepherds Neame Spooky Ale, PERFECT!

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
gnutz2

Shepherds Neame Spooky Ale, PERFECT!

Post by gnutz2 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:33 pm

Never seen it before (must be new) but my local co-op has been selling this beer for a few weeks now and what a beer it is :D Puts Hobgoblin to shame :wall

Very dark, malty and roasty beer with a glorious fruity hop finnish, it's my favourite beer ATM by far :beer:

Apparently its got 3 different types of roasted barley and a fruity hop to finnish which i'm guessing as cascade but i could be wrong.

I'm liking the beer so much its got me brewing my own super malty and hoppy beers right now, the roasty malt and citrussy hops seem to marry perfect.

Sunday i made this, it looks really dark and smells hoppy as hell, i used no early hops BTW.

25l brewlength
45 IBU
5.5% ABV
US-05 yeast

5.5 Pale malt
0.3 Amber malt
0.3 Crystal 120l
0.2 Black malt

40g Apollo@15min
60g Apollo@0min

Today i bought some roasted barley and the only fruity hops i have are 100g of chinook so i'll be formulating something else very soon.

LM600

Re: Shepherds Neame Spooky Ale, PERFECT!

Post by LM600 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:15 pm

...and how's it looking?

Intrigued by not adding any hops to the full boil.

Spud395

Post by Spud395 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:22 pm

Not got a SN beer that I like yet, find them very thin, whats the mouthfeel like?

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:35 pm

I do wonder how many SN "special" beers are actually their stock ales rebranded.
Dan!

beernsurfing

Post by beernsurfing » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:43 am

LM600 wrote:...and how's it looking?

Intrigued by not adding any hops to the full boil.

You don't need to do a 60 minute addition. As long as the IBU's add up you're fine. I often do 10 minute APA and AIPA's. All hops in at 10 minutes. If you like hoppy beers they're great.

Sorry for the off topic!

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:58 pm

Spud395 wrote:Not got a SN beer that I like yet, find them very thin, whats the mouthfeel like?
No I agree with this statement... we've had a few as guest casks at my local - dissapointing to say the least!

:)

So how is the original for Mouthfeel - I'm sure your own effort compares favourably

8)