Finally, success

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Laripu
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Finally, success

Post by Laripu » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:12 pm

For years I've been taking a stab at trying to capture a memory - the memory of what Double Diamond (kegged, on tap) tasted like in the late 80's in the Old Mill Pub, in Ashton, Ontario, somewhat west of Ottawa.

I remember thinking, "Why can't Molson make something like this?" A few years later I started homebrewing, and I've been getting closer to that every time I do a bitter.

This time, I got the colour right where my memory of it is (probably from the 80L crystal malt and the chocolate malt). The taste is almost perfect. The defects I find are:
1. There's a slight woody note, I assume from the Windsor yeast, that will age out in a week or two.
2. I oversparged, got 7 (US) gallons rather than 6.2 (US) gallons (i.e. 23 litres + 1 litre wastage+sediment) that I had intended. That kept the gravity lower, which I think ends up being a good thing.
3. I used American and Polish hops rather than British hops, but frankly I don't think that really matters much. Bitterness is bitterness. Maybe the hop flavour and aroma might be more authentic if I used Kent Goldings, but it's very good anyway.

Other than that, it's fantastic.

The recipe is here.

Secondary FV: As yet unnamed Weizenbock ~7%
Bulk aging: Soodo: Grocery store grape juice wine experiment.
Drinking: Mostly Canadian whisky until I start brewing again.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Re: Finally, success

Post by WishboneBrewery » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:27 pm

there is a recipe in the Clone Brews book page 91.
never seen it but have read a couple of bits about it :)

greenxpaddy

Post by greenxpaddy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:31 pm

Nice label!

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:59 pm

Well first of all congrats, it's always good when a plan comes together. I have a question though; after looking at the recipe by following the link you provided, why do you let the flaked corn and flaked barley soak overnight? I have used both products more times than I can remember but I have always just thrown them into the mash along with the grains. I have been going on the theory that flaked adjuncts are gelatized therefore all you need is the enzymes from the mash to convert, am I missing something here?
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

Laripu

Post by Laripu » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:14 pm

Barley Water wrote:Well first of all congrats, it's always good when a plan comes together. I have a question though; after looking at the recipe by following the link you provided, why do you let the flaked corn and flaked barley soak overnight? I have used both products more times than I can remember but I have always just thrown them into the mash along with the grains. I have been going on the theory that flaked adjuncts are gelatized therefore all you need is the enzymes from the mash to convert, am I missing something here?
The flaked barley I was using was not from a homebrew shop. It was from a Korean grocery. Not being sure, I thought it better to let it sit in hot water overnight, then mash and boil. The corn was in there too "just cuz". :)

I'd probably do this anyway, even if it was flaked barley from a HBS, because I usually prepare for mash day the night before, and it can't hurt.

It's over 4 weeks now, and the woody taste has changed, and is making itself known as a hop flavour. The beer is getting even better, and is now, in my limited experience of UK bitters, very good. I imagine if one of you drank it, you might not think so, but I love it. :)

Edit to add: I just noticed you're in Dallas, so maybe you're not one of the "one of you" I was referring to. ;) :)

Laripu

Post by Laripu » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:36 am

greenxpaddy wrote:Nice label!
Thanks! All credit goes to the furry guys. :)

zgoda
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Odp: Finally, success

Post by zgoda » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:24 am

Lubelski is basically Saaz grown in Poland, somewhat unusual in bitters, but otherwise will go fine.

As I'm from Poland I'm glad people like our hops. And there is much more than Lubelski to try (Marynka, Sybilla, Lomik, just to name a few).

Laripu

Re: Odp: Finally, success

Post by Laripu » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:57 pm

zgoda wrote:Lubelski is basically Saaz grown in Poland, somewhat unusual in bitters, but otherwise will go fine.

As I'm from Poland I'm glad people like our hops. And there is much more than Lubelski to try (Marynka, Sybilla, Lomik, just to name a few).
I've used Marynka too, in other beers. Before WWII, my grandmother was a homebrewer in Lodz, so I occasionally make a beer called "Granny Beer", and I always use Polish hops for that. You can probably find a picture of the label on an old thread in these forums.