St Austell Proper Job competition winning recipe

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
bigrichlock
Hollow Legs

St Austell Proper Job competition winning recipe

Post by bigrichlock » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:37 pm

St Austell Proper Job competition winning recipe and re-worked recipe after day at the brewery

Well here is the recipe I entered the competition with, and some comments about it, it was my 6th all grain brew and I was still fairly clueless and learning fast, and very critical of the beer once brewed.

25L batch
OG: 1.056
FG: 1.013
EBU: 55
EBC: 12
ABV: 5.5%
Mash temp 66C
Mash time 90min
Water:Grain ratio 2.5:1
Boil time 75min
Yeast: Wyeast 1275 with a 2L starter on a stir plate
Fermentation temp: 18C for 5 days, 21C for 2 days then transferred to secondary for 10 days at 16C, then kegged and bottled.

Water
Plymouth water is extremely soft (its just rain water may as well be RO Water) I made some basic additions with CaSO4 (11.2g per 25L) and CaCl (4g per 25L) to slightly Burtonise the water.

Malt
MO 94%
Munich 6%

Hop Additions
Chinook 15g 75min
Willamette 15g 75min
Chinook 12g 30min
Willamette 15g 30min
Chinook 10g 15min
Willamette 30g 15min
Chinook 15g Hopback
Willamette 40g Hopback
Cascade 40g Hopback

For a guess I was surprised how close I was to the real recipe, the main differences being:

1. There is no Munich in it, well the website tells you that and so did the competition entry but I was after I hint on colour, and as i have now learnt malt supplier is very important, use the same one as the brewery if possible
2. St Austell mash for 60min at 64C at a ratio of 2.6:1 (i think, don’t have my notes handy) not including the water under the false bottom
3. Hop additions are slightly different will go into that in next recipe and they also use pellets for all additions except the hopback
4. No 30 min addition
5. St Austell use a whirlpool for 30min
6. After the hopback the wort is cooled to 15C, yeast and O2 are added inline and into the fermenter
7. Temp held at 15C for yeast growth phase then allowed to rise to 17C this is control Ester production from the house strain of yeast, after 7 days it’s off into the conditioning tanks for 2 weeks ish before bottling

So next time I brew proper Job I will be doing the following recipe

Water as before and aiming for (ish) the following water profile

Ca 123ppm, Mg 3ppm, CaCO3 12ppm, Na 13ppm, Cl 103ppm, SO4 187ppm, this is just my best guess at the water used in the brewery, salts went into the mash and boiler.

23L batch
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.013
EBU: 56
EBC: 11
ABV: 5.5%
Mash temp 64C
Mash time 90min (to guarantee full conversion), drain then 2 batch sparges at 10L each, temp of water 77C
Water:Grain ratio 2.6:1
Boil time 60min
Whirlpooled/stand for 30 min in boiler

Grain
100% MO (hopefully Simpsons, need to find some tho!)

Hops
Chinook 15g 60min
Willamette 20g 60min
Chinook 25g 15min
Willamette 40g 15min
Chinook 30g Hopback
Willamette 50g Hopback
Cascade 40g Hopback

Yeast: WLP 002 with a 2L ish starter on a stir plate, aiming or 0.75 million cells per ml of wort per degree plato, so 280 Billion yeast cells should do it.

Other additions: Servomyces and Protofloc at 15min, and O2 at 1L/min for 1min

Run wort from boiler through hopback and plate chiller and into the fermenter aiming for 17C.

Fermentation: Pitch at 17C and hold for 2 days, let it rise to 19C for approx 4 days (I may rouse the yeast depending on how the gravity is doing), then up to 21C for 2 days (the FG should be achieved at this point). As long as all the Diacetyl has gone drop back down to 18C for another 5 days (could move to a secondary for this?). It will then get crash cooled for 2-3 days to get rid of most the yeast as I don’t use finnings, then into a keg and carbonate and then condition further at 10C for as long as it lasts,

If using the St Austell yeast strain pitch colder as mentioned above. I have use WLP002 a good few times before and this profile will get me roughly what i want.

So brewday to Keg in 15ish days is the plan and drinking on day 16! ;-)

Yes I could use the St Austell yeast but not sure I can be bothered growing it up from a bottle to then just suppress the esters in the fermentation! I definitely would for a Tribute Clone but not here.

This is just information I have put together and then tweaked from my day at the brewery. It should get you pretty close if you follow the information provided, if you’re a million miles away it’s not the recipes fault, it’s a process issue in your brewery ;-)

That’s pretty much it, simple recipe really, the best normally are and Proper Job is a corker!

I would just like to thank BrewUK for organising the competition and Roger Ryman, Rob and James and the rest of the brewing team at the brewery for a cracking day and for being so honest when it came to all the questions I was asking, and i had lots including about Tribute, clone recipe to follow at some point in the next few months need to brew it a couple of times first ;-)

And there may be another competition next year, which beer tho im not sure??!!

Cheers

Rich

Belter

Re: St Austell Proper Job competition winning recipe

Post by Belter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:35 pm

good work on winning. I live in St Austell. which hotel did they out you up in?

bigrichlock
Hollow Legs

Post by bigrichlock » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:32 am

Stayed at the White hart for the night, are there many homebrews in St Austell? As there does not seem to be many around in Devon and Cornwall in general?

Rich

Belter

Post by Belter » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:11 am

homebrews?

homebrewers...about 2
homebrew shops... 1 in Camborne (sh@#t) 1 in Plymouth (good)

bigrichlock
Hollow Legs

Post by bigrichlock » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:44 am

Belter,

Yep, sorry meant Homebrewers ;-) So about the same number as in Plymouth then!!

weiht

Post by weiht » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:54 pm

THX for sharing!!! Interesting that their hse yeast can work so cold. Roger Ryman is such a humble and generous person, yet not too caught up in the whole its cooler to be craft facade.

Belter

Post by Belter » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:02 pm

bigrichlock wrote:Belter,

Yep, sorry meant Homebrewers ;-) So about the same number as in Plymouth then!!
Maybe it's worth setting up a Devon/Cornwall meet and seeing who actually does it down here?

bigrichlock
Hollow Legs

Post by bigrichlock » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:05 pm

Yep im up for that, bet it will be a cheep round tho!

Rich

shredder

Post by shredder » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:56 am

Rich, bit off topic but I'm in Plymouth too and noticed you have a kegerator from one of your other posts, was just wondering where you got your CO2 bottle from and how much it set you back?

bigrichlock
Hollow Legs

Post by bigrichlock » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:03 am

Shredder,

CO2 was from Cellar supplies in Faraday Mill, 15 quid a bottle and no deposit when empty just return it pay another 15 quid pretty cheep i think.

Rich

Belter

Post by Belter » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:31 am

bigrichlock wrote:Shredder,

CO2 was from Cellar supplies in Faraday Mill, 15 quid a bottle and no deposit when empty just return it pay another 15 quid pretty cheep i think.

Rich
would be good to get that added to the list on the faq. I searched for ages to get mine and ended up paying through the nose. would have been good to know I could get it from there.

micmacmoc

Post by micmacmoc » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:12 pm

+1 for devon/cornwall meet. Am in Mevagissey.

Belter

Post by Belter » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:24 pm

is Shredder in? that'd make it four

far9410
Even further under the Table

Post by far9410 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:27 pm

I'm surprised that you can achieve the correct colour for proper job, using only MO, but I may be wrong
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

bigrichlock
Hollow Legs

Post by bigrichlock » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:16 pm

Thats why in my orgional attempt i hand a dash of Munich, but i can assure you all that St Austell put in the mash tun was Simpsons Maris Otter, does any one use Simpsons MO on a regular basis, is it darker is a good question? tho the data sheet says not, yeast could be responsible for extra colour?

Rich