Home Brew Beer by Greg Hughes

A forum for asking about brewing publications of all sorts. Also the place to put reviews of brewing books that you've read.
widdersbel
Piss Artist

Home Brew Beer by Greg Hughes

Post by widdersbel » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:47 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Brew-Beer- ... reg+hughes

I've been given a copy of this book. Interesting.

It starts with sections on equipment and ingredients, and illustrated step-by-step instructions on brewing techniques, for all stages of the process, then the rest of the book is recipes - they're given as all-grain recipes but many of them have alternative instructions for making them with extract.

No idea how it compares to other brewing books but having flicked through it, I'm already impressed with the sheer quantity of information and the clear way it's presented. The only question is whether the information is complete and reliable, which I'm not in a position to judge (I haven't graduated from kits yet), but it looks very promising.

Nigel1969

Re: Home Brew Beer by Greg Hughes

Post by Nigel1969 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:09 pm

I recently got this book out from the library. I'm a new all grainer, and this book has been a massive help. Cheers for the Amazon link :D Defo gonna buy this.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:43 am

Nigel1969 wrote:I recently got this book out from the library. I'm a new all grainer, and this book has been a massive help. Cheers for the Amazon link :D Defo gonna buy this.
The author is Greg Hughes, who is the owner of Brew UK. I've not read or looked at the book, but I think Greg has a good level of knowledge, so it should give sound advice.

EDIT: He also stocks the book, (unsurprisingly).
Best wishes

Dave

widdersbel
Piss Artist

Post by widdersbel » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:14 pm

Dave S wrote:The author is Greg Hughes, who is the owner of Brew UK.
Looks like a good site, that. Cheers for the tip-off.

Redimpz
Hollow Legs

Post by Redimpz » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:02 am

Try the "book people" rather than Amazon, it was much cheaper.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:30 am

A friend of mine has recently bought and loaned me this book and I find it a good read. It's targeted at the beginner, but there's plenty of stuff to interest more advanced brewers, not least the recipes. There are also some useful tables of hops and grains for easy reference.
Best wishes

Dave

Rivvo
Steady Drinker

Post by Rivvo » Mon May 19, 2014 12:35 am

Got this from my local 'the works' book shop at £5, bargain to be honest, wish I'd found it last year!

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Fri May 23, 2014 12:52 pm

I just received a copy of this in my all grain starter kit from Brew UK - the book was essentially free as the all grain kit is priced about the same as other online shops without the book.

I looks excellent and has plenty of well presented recipes - have yet to try them however! Seems to be focused on getting results, which is a refreshing change from Palmer's How to Brew which I have also read - it's very in depth.

HLA91
Steady Drinker

Post by HLA91 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:39 pm

Cracking book, just waiting for my Braumeister to arrive so I can test out some of the recipes.

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:57 pm

Just sampling my effort at the Belgian Wit on p190 of this book - superb, even after only a week in the corny keg! Greg is obviously too polite to state that it's a Hoegaarden clone but it must be :) only thing is, as I've remarked elsewhere, I was far short of the target OG with a lower volume, some of that is undoubtedly due to it being only my second AG batch, but suspect some of it is down to the 60 min mash, I'll try 90 next time.

Also I used 50g of orange peel from a supermarket orange rather than half that amount of dried from a HBS, tastes about right in my view!

Greatcthulhu

Post by Greatcthulhu » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:07 pm

I like this book. Bottled the "East Kent Golding single hop ale" a couple weeks ago- my first attempt at extract brewing and it already tastes better than any kit I've made. Currently have the English Barley Wine in my fv, but won't know what it's like for a while as it needs long conditioning. There are a number of extract brews in the book that I want to try before going on to all grain sometime next year.

Fozzy Beer

Post by Fozzy Beer » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:59 pm

#2 Son bought me this for Father's day - haven't had my nose out of it since then!
I've also used Parke's Self-sufficiency home brewing which is also v good
From scratch I've done 3 kits in the last month (Wherry/Cooper's cerveza/Smugglers - well pleased with each of them although I wouldn't do the Wherry again (not to my taste). I'd have to go a long way to improve on the Corona sorry cerveza!
Gonna jump straight to AG
Had some good advice from Peter at Hop Shop who suggested 1/2 batch brews to get the hang of it
So I've priced up ESB/IPA/London/Summer/Witbier/Dry stout from the book which comes to about £80 with dry yeast and a couple of bits of kit (target price was based on free pp over £75 cos it breaks my heart to pay pp)
Hope the recipes work or I'm in trouble!!
Already planning to brew A Shropshire Lad which was lovely when we visited Whitchurch last week - my kind of beer
Copper Kettle do an AG kit for less than £20 with everything inc and free pp/ They also do a Guinness kit same deal - I'll have a look at what ingredients I have left over from above but I might give them a go

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:40 am

Sampled some of the Weissbeer a couple of nights ago - excellent too, even after only 10 days in the bottle. I used the White Labs equivalent of the Wyeast specified in the recipe and extended the mash to 90 mins, otherwise followed the recipe. Very Weihenstephan ish. Hope the majority of the batch which is force carbed in a corny will be as good!

Chrissyr63
Piss Artist

Post by Chrissyr63 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:16 pm

Hi all,

have done a few from this and turned out very nice - Raspberry Wheat Beer seems to be going well with the wife and friends.
Also did the Amarillo ale which is really nice and the Smokey which is still conditioning. Good clear recipies with yeast 'suggestions' which is what I think is missing from gw.
I plan to brew a Fullers London Pride next weekend and am comparing the GW version with the London Bitter version in the book.

Great starter book and I can see it guiding towards adapting the recipies in future.

C

daf

Post by daf » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:02 pm

My best one from this book so far is the Nelson Sauvin single hop....absolutely lush.