First brew on braumeister 20l

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
NOZ
Piss Artist

First brew on braumeister 20l

Post by NOZ » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:52 pm

Hello!

Just finished my first brew on the 20l Braumeister - I'm happy with the whole brewday overall.
A few things I noticed - during the boil I there where lots of particles floating around in the boil - I first thought this was due to grain passing through the filters - I scooped some of this out and was surprised to see this was trub! I've never experienced this on all the brews I've done on my three vessel system - I suppose this is hot break and proteins binding together - is this due to the step mash I did?
I also took PH readings throughout the mashing sequence - the first reading I took was 5.3 (@ 50oc) - this was predicted by brunwater, but as it raised up about 30 mins later to 66oc the PH had raised to 5.7 - is this normal or do I need to adjust my mineral addition? (I did a 25 litre mash with 5kg pale malt)
Some of the good points - there was no rushing around like on a normal brewday and cleaning was so much simpler ( I can brew in the kitchen again) - I like the fact you can leave it to do its thing without worrying about temp drops etc - I'm sold on the whole braumeister kit but I think its quite overpriced for what it is though.

cheers,

Noz

goodolpete
Steady Drinker

Re: First brew on braumeister 20l

Post by goodolpete » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:00 am

How did you measure the pH?
With papers or by titration?

NOZ
Piss Artist

Post by NOZ » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:50 am

Good old pH meter!

jayjt29

Post by jayjt29 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:06 pm

Not owning a BM but A GF on my first brew i also had a lot of grain matter floating around in the boil, perhaps it wasn't grain matter after all. Will look more closely on Wednesday when i brew again.
Cheers for the info!

Jay

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:24 pm

NOZ, for 5kg, I would have used 23L water and sparged/rinsed with 7-8L. If you didn't rinsed the grains after mash out, give it a go when you're happy running the system. Before mashing in, double check the bottom filter plate and mesh have fallen in place. Prod with a long spoon or something if not. Take care not to get any grains falling over the edge of the malt pipe when adding the grains. Quite a few BM users put a length silicone edging around the top filter plate to stop any grain debris escaping. It works very well. Also, a valuable tip for new users is start filling the BM with water using a hose placed over one of the pump ports to purge any trapped air in the pump pipes. And clean the pump impeller after every brew.

NOZ
Piss Artist

Post by NOZ » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:24 pm

I think I sparged with 6 litres of water on that first brew, that beer isn't the best - I used mangrove jacks yeast and it took ages to clear - its still quite murky - also not the nicest flavour, I think thats due to a possible under pitch as the brew turned out at about 6.4%.
My second brew has turned out much better, but I have an underlying flavour that im not happy with - it was present on my old 3v system.
I think my epsom salts have become contaminated - they smell really stale!
Im going to leave them out on the next brew.
I did add some calcium chloride to lower the mash ph to 5.1 but was unable to measure the pH as the bulb in my meter is faulty!
This brew is a lot more drinkable!