First BM brew

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Troutman47
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: First BM brew

Post by Troutman47 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:19 am

I did wonder if you'd stepped it up! :lol:

Been thinking about the attenuation, typically the yeast will consume 75% of the sugars as the remainder are unfermentable dextrins.
1.060 - 1.020 is only 65.4% apparent attenuation and 53.5% real attenuation according to the app I use. (Beer alchemy).

So, two choices I reckon, one, use a high alcohol yeast, WLP001 is up to 80% attenuation, or two, pitch a second yeast.

The other thing I do because my mash efficiency is well over 80% is use less grain to get the starting gravity you want.

Hope that help a bit too! :beer:

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:45 am

cheers, that's useful to know, especially going forward. Will look into yeast attenuation some more.

I used liquid yeasts and make a starter for my current two batches that are currently in fv, so more hopeful there- both with lower OGs too ( that said thinking i may have a problem the other way with my stout, ended up with OG 1038 instead of 1048, so the liquid yeast with starter may be too much for it? white labs irish ale yeast.)

back to this batch - will time help it it anyway? i take it it won't carbinate anymore- the yeast is done, - although i read somewhere to turn bottles upside down for 3 days then back again for three days to kick start yeast- would that do any good? or has this yeast had it - the 53% has been done and it is what it is?

Troutman47
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Troutman47 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:39 am

I'm sure it'll carbonate ok, I've not heard of the turning the bottle over trick before, I just leave it for 3-4 weeks and it's carbed up fine.
The rule is to leave it mature one week for every ten degrees of gravity.

Cheers :beer: