Got my brewing mojo back with one of those Grainfathers

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
charlie
Drunk as a Skunk

Got my brewing mojo back with one of those Grainfathers

Post by charlie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:34 pm

I've been all grain for over ten years but never produced anything great and things kept getting worse as I developed bad practises.

So I was brewing less and less and resenting every moment I spent wrestling with my knackered mash tun and boiler which kept cutting out no matter how well I cleaned the element.

Anyway I recently had a day with two blokes who are on the verge of turning pro and the sheer quality of their beer convinced me to raise my game so I bit the bullet and got one over Christmas.

Brewed for the first time last Saturday (7th) and it was great.

Everything went smoothly, mashed well, great boil - love the concealed element, chilled easily and got a very promising wort at the end.

I loved all the hot water that I got from the chiller for cleaning and it all cleaned in place really easily.

Efficiency seemed a bit low and I think that I will chill a bit more next time and get better with the mashing.

Too early to tell what it will taste like but it took off quickly and smells great.

simple bill
6.25 kg pale malt
0.25 kg crystal

25g summit 17.5 % 60 mins
52g ekg 6.6% 15 mins

US05 yeast - repitched from last brew

I got about 25l at OG 1053 so I should be on for about 5.6% abv.

I'll report back how it turns out, but it really improved the enjoyment of my brewday especially the mash.

Testify

Chas
Brewing in the badlands between Arnside and Milnthorpe.
Cumbria

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Got my brewing mojo back with one of those Grainfathers

Post by orlando » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:46 pm

charlie wrote:I recently had a day with two blokes who are on the verge of turning pro and the sheer quality of their beer convinced me to raise my game so I bit the bullet and got one over Christmas.
Do they use a Grainfather then?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

charlie
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by charlie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:17 pm

No they used 100 litre ss pots and propane.

It was just the quality of their beer that impressed me.

I was going to have to replace my mash tun and kettle anyway so I thought that I might as well spend my money on good quality kit.

Chas
Brewing in the badlands between Arnside and Milnthorpe.
Cumbria

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Secla » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:35 pm

I'm also using a grain father more as a way to speed up a brew day, I can be done and cleaned up in 4.5 hours all in the comfort of my kitchen ! I do miss my 3 vessel setup but the grainfather does give good consistent beers and the chiller is just amazing

bryanferry
Piss Artist

Post by bryanferry » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:49 pm

I have brewed far more batches since I bought mine in April '16. All have been consistently good so has given more opportunity to play with styles and recipes.

Found the best addition to my grainfather was a metal mash paddle. especially when getting on to the 6.5% ales you need to get a good dough in to avoid a stuck mash.
Grainfather conical standard bitter
Corny Keg 1 - Silver still spirits tonic water
Corny Keg 2 - Purple empty
Corny Keg 3 - Copper low % ale
Demi Johns

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:43 pm

I am really happy with mine too,they are the mutt's nutt's but if you are the masochist brewer type who wants things difficult then it's not for you =D> . I also use beersmith and after a few brews have adjusted my numbers so that now when I plan a recipe in beersmith and go brew it,all my numbers are bang on.
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie