unexpected dispensation

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
spanspoon

unexpected dispensation

Post by spanspoon » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:12 am

well i finally brewed a beer the misses liked, so last night as i was cooking tea i asked her if she fancied half a bottle of my witbier and she said yes.
i brought the bottle into the kitchen, flipped the lid on my finest grolsch bottle to find the beer was massively over carbed...450ml of beer erupted onto the ceiling, showering me and the units with beer. the misses now has the opinion that homebrew is dangerous.

from now on i will be making sure that i make a priming solution and mixing it well!

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: unexpected dispensation

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:18 pm

Umm,, a gusher, ](*,) =D>

I've had some do just as yours did, now it's always in the sink when I open a bottle, and a glass ready to put over the top of the bottle.

It maybe a bit of a hasle, but not as much as all the cleaning you have to do when you get a real gusher .. [-o<
To Busy To Add,

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:19 pm

I had this problem once, only it was stout and made a right mess of the kitchen! Fortunately I realised it was because most of the priming sugar was in the one bottle - I now mix very thoroughly.

phil.dadd
Steady Drinker

Post by phil.dadd » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:03 am

I was depressurising a keg once that was finished. Forgot to put the stopper in the "beer out" part of the Sankey connector. Engaged, and foam/beer dregs blasted out all over me, the ceiling, walls, and general area of the kitchen.

Wife wasn't best pleased. Just redecorated the kitchen, so you'd never know now! :-)

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:51 pm

Not an overcarbed bottle but your gusher reminds of the first time i used my new IC. I had the hoses going out of the kitchen window to an outside tap and drain. Got it all set up went outside and switched the water on. Not much water seemed to be coming out the waste end, a quick look through the kitchen and yes i was now cleaning the ceiling with mains water. The inlet hose had come off :mrgreen:

Still the ceiling did need a clean:)

I always batch prime in a bottling bucket. Sugar solution goes in first and then the beer on top. That way i should mix together without any ixidation from stiring. Seems to work well for me

k1100t
Piss Artist

Post by k1100t » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:55 pm

chefgage wrote:I always batch prime in a bottling bucket. Sugar solution goes in first and then the beer on top. That way i should mix together without any oxidation from stirring. Seems to work well for me
I do the same, for the same reason.

Cheers,

Bob.
I like beer --- Currently rebuilding the brewery, this time with stainless...

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:47 pm

I used to do the same until it did not mix one batch, luckily the Helles I had first had a large proportion of the unmixed sugar. It tasted like a shandy but could have been dangerous and a lot of the others took forever to even slightly carbonate. A gentle mix was always done after that!

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:57 pm

f00b4r wrote:I used to do the same until it did not mix one batch, luckily the Helles I had first had a large proportion of the unmixed sugar. It tasted like a shandy but could have been dangerous and a lot of the others took forever to even slightly carbonate. A gentle mix was always done after that!
I must admit even after what i said i do give it a little mix :)