Hop Growing 2017

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Hanglow
Under the Table

Re: Hop Growing 2017

Post by Hanglow » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:17 pm

Should I fertilise my second year hop? It was in a large pot so I wonder if it might be a bit depleted of nutrients

Stewb

Post by Stewb » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:46 pm

Hanglow wrote:Should I fertilise my second year hop? It was in a large pot so I wonder if it might be a bit depleted of nutrients
For sure- good organic manure is perfect for them but if in a pot then the right liquid feed may be easier- i think you need to look for one that has nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus ideally, but mine seem pretty happy being included in the rounds with the tomato feed

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Stewb

Post by Stewb » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:47 pm

wanus wrote:Lookin gud stewb.
Cheers- popped the first string up now (seems early!)

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:03 pm

Hanglow wrote:Should I fertilise my second year hop? It was in a large pot so I wonder if it might be a bit depleted of nutrients
Yeh a tomato feed is all you need, or if you really wanna spend on feed, got to the hydroponics shop and get some of there liquid feed, after all it's the same family :wink:

But there are many feeds on the market you could use, but me being cheap, I just soak some sheep shit in water and dilute accordingly and get some ash from the fire for the potassium, and a bit of seaweed off the beach.
To Busy To Add,

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:00 pm

Cheers guys, I remember from growing said related plant before that you ideally use different fertilisers for vegetative growth and flowering :)

StrontiumDog
Piss Artist

Post by StrontiumDog » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:29 am

Recently moved house and had to leave my old hop plants as they were well rooted. Having a go now in 'tubs' more usually know as 'dustbins' lol. Not the most asthetically pleasing but they seem to be growing! The well growing one is an EK Golding (I live in East Sussex, UK so this is actually from Kent!) The stubbier one is a Bramling Cross.

Depending on how well this goes I'll look at another for the third balcony post next year. ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:42 pm

Here's my first year centennial, just starting. not expecting anything from this one

And my second year hallertau mittelfruh, going great guns.

Stewb

Post by Stewb » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:21 pm

Please excuse the state of the plot- a brewday/ gardening day is earmarked for Sunday to get on with the weeding; but the transplanted fuggle is really beginning to climb. Other first year hops are establishing well with the EKG the only plant not to takeImageImage

Stewb

Post by Stewb » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:23 pm

And as an additional bonus, a clear out of some building rubble has unearthed a presumed dead prima donnaImage

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:43 pm

I've just read about bull shoots, should I have cut those back? They are about two foot high now, is it too late?

Stewb

Post by Stewb » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Hanglow wrote:I've just read about bull shoots, should I have cut those back? They are about two foot high now, is it too late?
I've read both ways on this, cut them Vs not. No expert at all but my leaning is to leave them if healthy. As far as i see it, the quicker the plant gets up and gets leaves out the better. All for pruning to between 3-9 healthy shoots though depending on age of plant once it is set.

As a home grower i guess a 5% difference on a few plants isn't something I'll notice- other factors in terms of feeding/ watering will make a bigger difference. A commercial grower will have to assess the impact across a lot more plants so will have to worry about these things more

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:06 pm

Apparently those ones are hollow so not as strong, and the distance between the nodes is much greater than it should be - I'll chop a couple and have a look at them

thats what I've read but of course could well be wrong, I don't know much about gardening and the likes despite haing an allotment #-o

andyCo

Post by andyCo » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:48 am

http://www.theecologist.org/green_green ... liser.html

Always wondered why my Dad had a bucket in the green house ,I just thought he couldn't be arsed to go back the house. :lol:

Andy

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:57 pm

Yeah my alloment is a bit too open for that I think :)

I decided to cut the shoots back. They were pretty much hollow and snapped really easily, so at this stage I'm glad I did. I also put a bunch of cut shoots straight into a pot, be interesting to see if any root. I'm not expecting them too tbh

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:50 am

Hanglow wrote:Yeah my alloment is a bit too open for that I think :)

I decided to cut the shoots back. They were pretty much hollow and snapped really easily, so at this stage I'm glad I did. I also put a bunch of cut shoots straight into a pot, be interesting to see if any root. I'm not expecting them too tbh

Bit too harsh there for this time of year. To be honest I've never heard of them being called Bull shoots, where did that come from?

They are more commonly referred to as Rank bines. In the old days of proper farming, sheep would be allowed into the gardens early on and nibble off the first shoots, which then produced much stronger seconds and these new bines were then twiddled (trained) up the strings.

My early shoots were left and I cut these back and potted the cuttings, all of which are still going a month on. A couple of my seconds are now over 5ft tall.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC