Grainfather High Performance Cleaner

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
james1988
Piss Artist

Grainfather High Performance Cleaner

Post by james1988 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:41 pm

Afternoon All,

My Grainfather arrived today and as such I intend on firing it up next weekend to do my first brew on it. I normally use VWP to sanitise everything but I've that it's no good for the Grainfather and could end up damaging it. So, I was wondering what cleaning products people use to clean their Grainfathers; do you use the high performance cleaner or something else?

James

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Re: Grainfather High Performance Cleaner

Post by Andy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:19 pm

I believe they also recommend Five Star PBW.
Dan!

DeadFall
Under the Table

Post by DeadFall » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:09 pm

First clean I used PBW (I think the HPC is just rebranded PBW). Now I use oxi with the temp set to 55c for most of my cleaning. Every 4-5 brews I return to PBW as it does give a better clean.
Let's all go home, pull on our gimp suits and enjoy life

Brewing chat on slack - http://thelocal.stamplayapp.com

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:07 am

fwiw i use good old generic unscented laundry oxi in my mk1 g/f post rinsing out and grain basket cleaning its 8-10l of warm oxi solution pumped through and rinsing/wiping down the walls, that tipped out before 2 x cold water rinses again pumped thru before upending and drain drying upside down.

touch wood - so far ive had no bother with the pump and original small mk1 hop filter..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:47 pm

I'm over 18months and gawd knows how many brews with my GF.
I ONLY use plain OXY ONE scoop in ~10L @66C. Pump it about through both the sparge & chiller for about 10min each. Then rinse and add 10L of water to boil for the same time through each. Never had any issues.
The malt sleeve gets hosed down and washed by hand with a spray and a microfibre cloth.

Any "burnt" on bits get cleaned with a scrubby and "Astonish Over and Cookware cleaner" good for SS pots as well as the GF. Usually shifts any on the element in a few seconds, then a rinse with water to remove it.

james1988
Piss Artist

Post by james1988 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:26 pm

Thanks for the replies. I use Oxi clean for the kegs so I'll use that and follow your lead; it saves shelling out on more cleaners!

James

nibber
Steady Drinker

Post by nibber » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:12 pm

Not impressed with the Grainfather cleaner- i have used two tubs of it-i now use PBW all the time- the Grainfather cleaner never used to shift the build up of the crud on the base of my Grainfather. :oops:

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:26 pm

I've had similar results in other applications - the GF cleaner shares some components with PBW but I don't believe it is the same stuff; PBW is an alternative but not identical.

I was tempted because on paper the GF cleaner's suggested dilution rate makes it better value than PBW, but IMO you can use less PBW for the same cleaning power so the GF stuff seems costly by comparison (and PBW itself is hardly cheap). I do very much like the yellow/green dye it contains though - theres no chance of mistaking the solution for water and its more obvious when it has been rinsed through a CFC etc.
Kev

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:18 pm

Im now thinking i may add a few drops of food colouring to my cleaner and sanitisers just for the reason you mention Kev..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:53 am

Cheap and very effective, basic Dish Washer powder or tablets I've found it works as well as the fancy "brewing" products and you can pick it up very easily.

atb aamcle

spanspoon

Post by spanspoon » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:42 am

aaamcle

never even crossed my mind to use a dishwasher tablet. they should be ideal, strong cleaning power and won't damage stainless steel.

james1988
Piss Artist

Post by james1988 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:27 pm

That's a great shout. I'm using Oxy Clean and hot water which seems to work. I heat the water to 60c, add in the oxy and leave it go about its business for fifteen minutes. After that is done I rinse the GF out with clean colder water and leave to dry. Seems to work...

James

lancsSteve

Post by lancsSteve » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:12 pm

Lots of detergent in dishwasher tabs - would need serious rinsing else that'll be headless beer won't it?