Salted Caramel Oatmeal Stout

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Billb

Salted Caramel Oatmeal Stout

Post by Billb » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:36 pm

Has anyone tried getting the popular "salted caramel" flavour into a brew?

Here's my attempt plus recipe. It went down extremely well over Christmas.

http://cheshirepeaks.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... stout.html

BeerCat

Re: Salted Caramel Oatmeal Stout

Post by BeerCat » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:14 pm

I have been looking for a recipe for this for ages. Good idea about consulting Delia. I bought some salted caramel flavouring and it was really bitter. Will definitely give this a go.

Billb

Post by Billb » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:50 pm

Let us know how you get on.

For my recipe I was careful about how much caramel and salt I added. I think it could have taken more.

BeerCat

Post by BeerCat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:17 pm

Thanks i will bear that in mind. Would like to do this soon and put it away for Xmas (if it lasts that long). Could you recommend a different yeast as i have never got on with s04. Something that attenuates well? Also how much sugar did you use per bottle to carb with? I noticed some of my stouts becoming very fizzy over time even when using a half teaspoon. Perhaps that's just my impatience and bottling too soon.

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Sadfield » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:00 pm

Sounds like a nice beer and a good concept, I do wonder however could you have done similar with a bigger crystal malt addition instead of actually using caramel, to achieve the same flavour? Without adding extra fermentables that would thin the body. Also, as with food, the salt addition could have been left until last, just before bottling, and adjusted to taste. This approach may give more control over the end product.

Beercat, what is it about S04 you don't like?

Billb

Post by Billb » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:20 pm

Thanks for that Sadfield.

I am also curious what it is about S04 you don't like BeerCat. It's my "go to" English ale yeast. It has a good flavour, attenuates well and drops like a stone.

As for carbonation - I didn't bottle this batch, but when I do bottle ales I generally use 100g sucrose, made into a syrup, and then the beer racked onto it in the bottling bucket. I worry about getting an accurate measure putting it directly into the bottles. Anyway, that's just how I do it. Stick with what works for you.

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:52 pm

S04 is reliable, although I'm a big fan of WLP028 Edinburgh Ale, great for malty beers, but doesn't mute hops like many British yeasts.

To be honest, I asked about s04 as its hard to suggest an alternative without knowing what characteristics to avoid.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

BeerCat

Post by BeerCat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:07 pm

The last time i used it i couldn't drink the beer but probably down to a bad fermentation. I have temp control now and only had one really bad batch since which i left in FV for 6weeks(then froze) and possibly scorched the wort as well.
I only ask as i have some 1056 and WLP007 in the fridge but Sounds like i need to try S04 again.
Will let you know how i get on as very much looking forward to trying your recipe.

Billb

Post by Billb » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:31 pm

I always rehydrate my S04 for 15 mins before pitching. But that's it. See how you get on.

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:06 pm

WLP007 Dry English Ale is reputed to be Whitbred yeast, which coincidentally so is S04. IIRC.

john luc

Post by john luc » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:22 am

Sadfield wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:00 pm
Sounds like a nice beer and a good concept, I do wonder however could you have done similar with a bigger crystal malt addition instead of actually using caramel, to achieve the same flavour? Without adding extra fermentables that would thin the body. Also, as with food, the salt addition could have been left until last, just before bottling, and adjusted to taste. This approach may give more control over the end product.

Beercat, what is it about S04 you don't like?
This beer has peeked my interest. What crystal would you recommend to achieve the result and when and where to put in the salt addition =P~
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

Billb

Post by Billb » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:25 am

My original recipe is here: http://cheshirepeaks.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... stout.html

I think you could add the salt any time, although Sadfield makes a good suggestions to add it carefully at packaging to make sure just the right amount is added and not too much.

I used Crystal 70 (standard UK crystal).

BeerCat

Post by BeerCat » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:12 am

Brewed a batch of this over the weekend. Must say it smells great. Somehow got more wort and an extra 10 points at 1066. I watered it down with a liter of hop tea but really looking forward to this. I didn't read Delia's instructions correctly and tried to use brown sugar. I burned the 1st batch when it started smoking so tried the rest on a super low heat and it turned into rock. Anyway it tasted good so it went it. I have not added any sat yet as i thought i would do it at the end as suggested. I am going to buy some uncleroy's toffee extract in case it needs more flavour. I used cml real ale yeast and extra pale instead of maris but everything else was the same.

Billb

Post by Billb » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:56 am

Excellent.
I hope you did not ruin your pan - it sounds like you made toffee not caramel!
Let us know what it turns out like.

patwestlake
Steady Drinker

Post by patwestlake » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:14 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjYMeAYIZIk

Here's a slight variation - you can always leave out the chocolate.

Pat
FV : #99 Highway to Helles (Munich Helles)
Next up - #100 Farmhouse in Your Soul (Saison)

Drinking :
#98 Bells Light Hearted (3.9% IPA)
#97 Decadence 64 (Mosaic IPA)
#96 Wicked Weasel (Fursty Ferret Clone)
#95 Penarth Gold (Loweswater Gold Clone)
#94 Cheeseburger Cavalry (US IPA)