Jim's Northeast Brewer's Night.

Members' meetings, Beer Festivals and the like - bung it on here. Old topics will be pruned after 3 months.
Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Jim's Northeast Brewer's Night.

Post by Eric » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:36 pm

Thanks for that Jim, I would have liked to be there. Was Bill not in attendance? I met Sean a couple of times last year, a really nice and helpful guy.

Did many turned up? The weather might have caused some to change their plans.

Are they using their yeast for the Wheat Beer? Did Sean say what percentage of wheat they used? Did you see at what temperature they were fermenting? If I remember correctly, it's the big display on the back wall.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:02 pm

Eric wrote:Thanks for that Jim, I would have liked to be there. Was Bill not in attendance? I met Sean a couple of times last year, a really nice and helpful guy.

Did many turned up? The weather might have caused some to change their plans.

Are they using their yeast for the Wheat Beer? Did Sean say what percentage of wheat they used? Did you see at what temperature they were fermenting? If I remember correctly, it's the big display on the back wall.
Bill was there, but we didn't get a chance to chat with him. Sean remembers you as well. :)

Quite a crowd turned up - it was very busy.

Re the wheat beer, they're using a proper german yeast (can't remember what strain he said - Norm might) and not their own yeast. Don't remember any recipe details, though I think they bittered with WGVs. Again, Norm might remember.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:46 pm

Thanks Jim, that's handy to know. If he's not using his own yeast it means it's no good me trying to produce one without a proper yeast. I very much respect Bill's decisions on such matters.

Good to know they got a crowd, their beers deserve to be better known.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Normski
Under the Table

Post by Normski » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:56 pm

It was a nice afternoon. And very hot. Us brits arn't used to that much sunshine.
Anna gave us a guided tour of the brewery and we spent time cooling down in there air conditioned hop store. They really are so dedicated to UK hops. They had an amazing selection of all of the best Uk hops and loads of experimental varieties. All whole hops, no pellets. I've always admired Cullercoats enthusiasm, I thought it was just Bill, But both Anna and Sean are so keen on what they do at the brewery.
Myself and Jim were talking with Sean and he said they had a new experimental wheat beer in one of the Fv’s. He went and got us a glass each to try, direct from the fv. Wow I loved it, best wheat beer I’ve ever tasted. Very lightly hopped, pale, cloudy and big banana’s. I think he said he used 40% wheat, The rest Marris otter with a bit of Vienna. He did say which yeast was used but I didn’t recognise it. But it was German. Im sure we can find out what it is, The yeast is what made it so fantastic.
I think it was bittered with Whitbread Goldings. To 15 Ebu.
And I think the late hops were Challenger.
I cant remember what it was going to be called, German something?.wit?
But its one I am going to be experimenting with myself, once I find out which yeast was used.
Sean said he wanted to come to one of our brewers meet up’s, im sure we can learn more of how they made such a great brew.
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:57 pm

I have a feeling it was Munich yeast. The name I do remember - German Bight - the latest of their shipping forecast area beers. :) They try to make something that's in some way related to the name of the area.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Spot on Jim, German Bight is listed #10 on their site, coming soon, 4.1%.

Yes Norm, that sounded like a good day with a lot of information gained. It would be lovely to have Sean at one of our nights. Doesn't he live South of the Tyne or have I got him confused with someone else? That would help for finding a convenient meeting point.

I was expecting a pin of a new brew from another local brewery I've been in talks with, which was to be used for another get together here, but unfortunately or fortunately, depending upon how you look at things, the total output was sold in one day by collective description by the only 4 who've tasted it, leaving just a measly 3 litres of dregs for me to collect tomorrow. I've only two beers that are conditioning, but not the sort for a summer drink. I'm due to do another experimental one with Polish hops but can't thin that one would be ready for a month, so maybe a meeting at another venue first?

It's a long time since I used WVG and never used Challenger late, but Bill would have done a lot of research into getting the recipe as he usually does. Sounds good.

Normski
Under the Table

Post by Normski » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:45 pm

Hi Eric
Yeah Challenger late. We were talking about it. I said I often use it for bittering, Sean said its there main bittering hop.
But while we were in the hop store Anna closed a bag of hops that had opened and the the smell was lovely, it was Challenger, My challenger dont smell as nice. I suspect his hops are top notch. They were Faram's.
He's a canny brewer is Bill.
We had a chat about UK hops. They have loads of new ones including Uk cascade and Uk Chinook. I've had the Uk cascade and there pretty much the same as Us cascade.
Had a glass of there Chinook ale, it tasted good.
I think Im going to look at some Uk hops when I next stock up. I've only been using Uk hops for bittering last few years. But maybe there are some that I'll enjoy useing late.

Jim. Was it Munich? Maybe, I think we should check, the yeast was tasty. I dont think it'll be anywhere close without the correct yeast.

I think a sugestion for the next meet up could be at Tyne bank brewery tap. Anybody got any thoughts on it.
Norm

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:33 pm

Tyne Bank Brewery would be possible for me, but would include best part of a half hour's walk each way if I was to use the Metro rather than the car.

Yes, Bill decided only British and the best of them for hops, you always spoke highly of his green and dry hopped beers.

Most of my hops are British as last year I used more American ones. The trouble is those hops are quite old now.

Sorry that I couldn't get there.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:06 pm

Tyne Bank have started doing a homebrew club with competitions if that interests, the next is 6th July but is fruit beers.

m_rawdin
Piss Artist

Post by m_rawdin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:39 pm

Not fussed on the home brew competition but happy to go along to the tap room some other time.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/341609746264187/

Fermenting: Nothing
Conditioning: Smoked porter
Drinking: Cider, witbier, brown ale, Milk stout
Planning: Gamma Ray clone v3

Normski
Under the Table

Post by Normski » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:55 pm

f00b4r wrote:Tyne Bank have started doing a homebrew club with competitions if that interests, the next is 6th July but is fruit beers.
That could be ok.

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:09 pm

Eric You can get the Q link bus from the station straight outside of the Tyne bank. ..
Lacked a bit of atmosphere last time I was in .
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

m_rawdin
Piss Artist

Post by m_rawdin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:12 pm

What about Leo's new gaff in arch 2 in the Ouseburn?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/341609746264187/

Fermenting: Nothing
Conditioning: Smoked porter
Drinking: Cider, witbier, brown ale, Milk stout
Planning: Gamma Ray clone v3

demig
Hollow Legs

Post by demig » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:40 pm

m_rawdin wrote:What about Leo's new gaff in arch 2 in the Ouseburn?
Was there in Saturday and beer was excellent, Cardinal Hybrid would get some discussion going about cloudy beers. The Inperial Choc Stout was also rather splendid.

Gutted I couldn't make the brewery as it was right at scout camp pickup time and they were running late as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:30 pm

alix101 wrote:Eric You can get the Q link bus from the station straight outside of the Tyne bank. ..
Lacked a bit of atmosphere last time I was in .
Thanks, that helps a lot.