Hop Growing 2017

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Re: Hop Growing 2017

Post by scuppeteer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:53 pm

if you can only go to 3m then choose dwarf varieties (First Gold is very popular), otherwise you'll need 5-6m. Growing against the house is not to be advised. They suffer massively from windburn and heat from the brickwork. They are OK growing along fences but need a lot of training.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:16 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the dwarf plants. If I can find some bare root hop plants now should I plant them now or wait a bit?

Thanks

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:14 pm

Manngold wrote:Thanks for the heads up on the dwarf plants. If I can find some bare root hop plants now should I plant them now or wait a bit?

Thanks

Your have to wait till after the first frosts, when there dormant.. Unless someone just happens to still have a potted one.

Edit: you will not get a bare root now.
To Busy To Add,

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:04 pm

Wonkydonkey wrote:
Manngold wrote:Thanks for the heads up on the dwarf plants. If I can find some bare root hop plants now should I plant them now or wait a bit?

Thanks

Your have to wait till after the first frosts, when there dormant.. Unless someone just happens to still have a potted one.

Edit: you will not get a bare root now.
Hi. I found these which are labelled as bare root: http://www.essentiallyhops.co.uk/acatal ... Plant.html

Are they not what I would need?

Thanks

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:14 pm

Well, imo.... It's the growing season, so if you dig up a plant that growing, it will die as it needs to grow and wants light water etc. so unless they still have them in a fridge/cold storage they will not be dormat, and even if they were dormant the plant would need to grow and put energy into the root for next yrs growth. And remember hops are just starting to flower now, so even if your lucky and it grows a bit, will it get through the winter ?

Maybe that's why they have 50% off sale.

I could be completely wrong ( anyone else want to say I'm wrong ?,, ) but if you read willingham's hops info they say more or less what I've said. (2 chances to grow hops , dormant roots from nov-feb/ or after this time by potted cuttings) which don't get disturbed, apart from being shoved in a black hole (bag) for a week

If you want to gamble then give it a try, but if you want a good chance to success them wait till Nov-jan-feb

Ps someone got some hop root cuttings from a homebrewer in May, 2 months later than it should have been, most peeps did not do well with the root cuttings they got, I got one going but it took its time and it was touch and go if it was gonna make it.

So if you choose to gamble, please let me know if it grows next March , as I would love to know

Cheers :wink:
To Busy To Add,

scuppeteer
Under the Table

Post by scuppeteer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:24 am

I'm actually surprised a reputable firm like this are selling bare root at this time of year. They obviously had over stock of the variety. I agree with everything WD has already said.

Planting out is November/December for cuttings taken in the Spring of the same year, which would be strong enough to survive the Winter. Proper root stock is April/May depending on the weather.

Personally I would wait until the Spring of next year and buy them from Willingham Nursery. Granted it will take longer to get a crop but they will be much healthier for it.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:30 am

Thanks guys, some great knowledge. I think based on that I will wait and just make sure that the area is prepared in advance. Would you recommend any previous threads/links to have a read over as well?

Thanks

Kohoutec
Steady Drinker

Post by Kohoutec » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:29 pm

scuppeteer wrote:Growing against the house is not to be advised. They suffer massively from windburn and heat from the brickwork. They are OK growing along fences but need a lot of training.
I learnt this the hard way. First year growing for me... They started off brilliantly but in the last month or so have really suffered. It looks like I'll get a few cones but until I read this didn't twig why they had started to look a bit unhappy. I've got them trained up a trellis but they're up against a south facing house wall so guess this is the residual heat from the brickwork.
Oh well next year hopefully a change of position will make all the difference!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

greengumbo

Post by greengumbo » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:37 am

My first attempt at growing this year so only had small first year roots in pots against the house.

They were slow to get going and haven't really gone past 7ft. Not seen any flowers or anything yet and its prob too late now. I am up north near Aberdeen so not ideal climate but I think the main problem was putting them in a site that was windier than I thought so they got bashed about a bit in the June storms. I'm going to prep a new sheltered site for them over winter.

As they are in pots is it worth moving them into the greenhouse over winter / spring to give them a bit of a headstart before planting out next year ?
GG

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:35 pm

greengumbo wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:37 am
My first attempt at growing this year so only had small first year roots in pots against the house.

They were slow to get going and haven't really gone past 7ft. Not seen any flowers or anything yet and its prob too late now. I am up north near Aberdeen so not ideal climate but I think the main problem was putting them in a site that was windier than I thought so they got bashed about a bit in the June storms. I'm going to prep a new sheltered site for them over winter.

As they are in pots is it worth moving them into the greenhouse over winter / spring to give them a bit of a headstart before planting out next year ?
GG
Hi GG (same one as on SBAI?) - I'm in the same area as you and also not go any fully developed cones yet; trying to remember when they came last year but it goes feel late, in a year when everything else has been early. Odd. My plant has yielded OK for the last two summers as well.

A headstart in the greenhouse would be a good thing I think, mine aren't in pots so never tried.

Jambo

pas8280
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Location: Hindley Green near Wigan but far enough away for it to count :)

Post by pas8280 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:54 am

Morning all
My cascade and EKG hops are almost ready for harvest, I may not have time for a "wet hop brew" so was considering the purchase of a dehydrator. Anyone got any recommendations in respect of makes and models etc ?
Regards Paul
The Hollyhop Brewery 100 litre stainless

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her - W.C. Fields

Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol - anon

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:23 pm

Second year hallertau mittelfruh - It goes up about 6 foot, then up another foot or so over 12 foot length to the top of the shed. Seems to have worked fairly well, it's in a pot

cutting from this year from that plant - this one is in the ground, I'm growing it in a Y along the back fence

Also have another cutting in the greenhouse in a pot which I will wild plant for next year

first year centenial

scuppeteer
Under the Table

Post by scuppeteer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:11 pm

Nice. My wild seedling is almost ready. Just need a dry day or 2 to harvest them.
Dave Berry

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:15 am

pas8280 wrote:Morning all
My cascade and EKG hops are almost ready for harvest, I may not have time for a "wet hop brew" so was considering the purchase of a dehydrator. Anyone got any recommendations in respect of makes and models etc ?
Regards Paul
I just laid mine out on sheets of newspaper in the airing cupboard, worked very well!

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:18 am

you can also 'dry them off' in the oven. Need to make sure the temp doesn't get much above 55C - actual limit is 60C, and you'll most likely find this is below the lowest temp setting on the oven - mines 80C. I simply start it below this with a thermometer in place and adjust until I get the temp I want then pop in the hops in a single layer on baking paper. Keep checking every now and then - length of time depends on how 'ready' the comes were when harvested.

I'm saying all this but am stuck in France and not back until a week on Sunday - just hoping there is something to 'dry-out' when I get back!